Real world MPG results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2011 XLT Expedition seems to roll more smoothly and with less resistance since I replaced the front hubs and front and rear brakes (120k) a couple weeks ago. The fuel mileage estimates on the cluster are in the 18.4 range. In the past few years, it's never shown above 16.5 mpg. Is it possible?

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2011 XLT Expedition seems to roll more smoothly and with less resistance since I replaced the front hubs and front and rear brakes (120k) a couple weeks ago. The fuel mileage estimates on the cluster are in the 18.4 range. In the past few years, it's never shown above 16.5 mpg. Is it possible?
Certainly possible, dragging on either the hubs and / or brakes could easily cause a 2mpg loss.

Reaction score
Recently did a trip from El Paso Texas to Alamogordo NM and got 21 both directions. Bone stock 2012 King Ranch 5.4l triton. Maybe it's the E88 eco Maverick gas? City is dropping pretty far but sitting at 17.3 for the last week or so.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Recently did a trip from El Paso Texas to Alamogordo NM and got 21 both directions. Bone stock 2012 King Ranch 5.4l triton. Maybe it's the E88 eco Maverick gas? City is dropping pretty far but sitting at 17.3 for the last week or so.
That is simply amazing for a 5.4. I'd like to know what difference between your 2012 and my 2011. Is your truck 2 wheel drive? What rear end?

My truck will get 17 and maybe 18 on the highway - depending on the terrain. When it was our primary vehicle, the highway / local average was 14.7. However, these days this vehicle spends most of its time on local roads with lots of stop and go driving and mileage is an abysmal 11.7.

Reaction score
That is simply amazing for a 5.4. I'd like to know what difference between your 2012 and my 2011. Is your truck 2 wheel drive? What rear end?

My truck will get 17 and maybe 18 on the highway - depending on the terrain. When it was our primary vehicle, the highway / local average was 14.7. However, these days this vehicle spends most of its time on local roads with lots of stop and go driving and mileage is an abysmal 11.7.
Wish I could tell you what gear is in it. It is 2wd. I mean maybe it's the E88? I have had that stuff in my tank for a little over a month and it just loves it. Lots of power if you big toe the gas out of a parking spot. Sitting at 17.1 average right now. I just swapped the passenger side VCT solenoid and had that whole head redone too. Looking to slowly build a bullet proof engine for when the inevitable comes.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wish I could tell you what gear is in it. It is 2wd. I mean maybe it's the E88? I have had that stuff in my tank for a little over a month and it just loves it. Lots of power if you big toe the gas out of a parking spot. Sitting at 17.1 average right now. I just swapped the passenger side VCT solenoid and had that whole head redone too. Looking to slowly build a bullet proof engine for when the inevitable comes.
Prolly the 2WD, less weight and rolling resistance. E85 or E88 should lower the MPG, in exchange for the lower price of the fuel. I'm thinking you have a 3.31 rear gear, but if you ever want to know for any reason, just follow the information below.

1700846901665.png

Last edited:

SRL12

Reaction score
Hi Guys, not sure this is the right place for this but here goes. 2020 exp Xlt tow package and 3.73 rear. Towing 25 foot Travel trailer. Vehicle Scale weight with 2 passengers 6080, loaded with trailer , Gross weigh 13560, steer axle 7340, trailer axle 6220. Certified CAT scale. I am getting 7 to 8 MPG. My questions are what am I doing wrong? Makes no difference what mode I run in. Handles well, weight Distribution hitch.
Thanks any input is appreciated.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Guys, not sure this is the right place for this but here goes. 2020 exp Xlt tow package and 3.73 rear. Towing 25 foot Travel trailer. Vehicle Scale weight with 2 passengers 6080, loaded with trailer , Gross weigh 13560, steer axle 7340, trailer axle 6220. Certified CAT scale. I am getting 7 to 8 MPG. My questions are what am I doing wrong? Makes no difference what mode I run in. Handles well, weight Distribution hitch.
Thanks any input is appreciated.
I believe you did not have the vehicle positioned correctly on the scales when you weighed your rig. There are 3 scale pads on the CAT scale. Front wheels (steer) on furthest forward (1st) pad, back wheels (drive) on middle (2nd) pad and both (or all 3) trailer wheels on furthest back (3rd) pad. You should get 4 weight readings: Steer, Drive, Trailer and Total.

I have a 2017 with HD tow and 3.31 rear axle. When I tow, I use premium fuel and depending on terrain, I get somewhere between 12 and 13 MPG. Towing the trailer empty, I get 15 to 15.5 and highway driving with no trailer I get 20-21.

The gross weight towing with my rig is not much different than yours. I would think that your relatively poor mileage is due more to the "brick wall effect" of the front of the travel trailer being pulled through the air and your 3.73 axle ratio than the weight you are pulling. Do you have pics of truck and trailer together?

How high is the front of the trailer and what does the face of it look like?
Without the trailer connected, what mileage are you getting on a road trip?
When towing are you using premium (93) fuel?

My vehicle

Trip 1 - Car more forward
Steer Axle 2980
Drive Axle 4680
Trailer Axles (dual) 5720
Total Weight Truck, Trailer and Car 13,380

Trip 2 - Car more rearward
Steer Axle 3060
Drive Axle 4520
Trailer Axles (dual) 5900
Total Weight Truck, Trailer and Car 13,480

Last edited:

SRL12

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I may not have had the trailer positioned properly but I am a new bee to scales. Trailer height is 10.5 with a slopped front Jayco 2022 Jay Feather. No pictures but I will get some. I thought the 3.73 axel was the proper axel for HD towing. I get 20 to 21 mpg on a road trip not towing. Not running premium Gas.
Regards, Stan

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I may not have had the trailer positioned properly but I am a new bee to scales. Trailer height is 10.5 with a slopped front Jayco 2022 Jay Feather. No pictures but I will get some. I thought the 3.73 axel was the proper axel for HD towing. I get 20 to 21 mpg on a road trip not towing. Not running premium Gas.
Regards, Stan
Prior to 2018 model year the HD tow package came standard on Limited and above models and did not dictate axle ratio. In order to get HD tow on 2018 and newer you needed option package 536 which included the 3:73 axle ratio with eLSD. My 2017 Limited HD Tow came with 3:31 open rear, tows great and as stated above gets decent mileage doing it.

Looking at a picture of your model trailer, I think the majority of your mileage reduction is pulling the brick through the air, but moving to 93 fuel when towing will improve your mileage some.