Real world towing MPG 23 expedition TERRIBLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mightyexpy

Reaction score
if you have larger diameter tires, I’d guess it’s probably staying in a lower gear?
My ‘19 with 3.73 final gear towing 24’ enclosed 7000lbs averages 9.5mpg going 70-75mph.

jrbest25

Reaction score
You could get better mpg. We have a '19 Expy XLT with the heavy duty towing package. We took our camper from upstate NY to TN last year and was just around 7 to 8. It was very annoying stopping every 100 miles for fuel. An upgraded tank would be substantial to this vehicle, but that is for another topic. This year we took our full loaded camper (around #9000) to NC outer banks. Since last year I have changed spark plugs and coils since there was over 50k on them. Changed the air filters and the biggest upgrade so far is the coolant thermostat. Ford installed a 190 degree thermostat in this model for some odd reason. I've read and researched and found that changing this thermostat to a 175 degree is an improvement. Monitoring the engine on this trip average engine temperature was around 190. I believe running this engine cooler has helped the mileage drastically. MPG average 11 to 12 after this 1400 mile trip, not great but definitely an improvement. Hope this helps.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
What model EPro are you towing? Just curious 'cuz my popup weighed 3600 pounds.

The fuel usage towing with a F150 vs Expedition should be negligible. As noted air resistance is exponential. At 70mph it's twice what it was at 50. Slow down if you want to save fuel. Sweet spot for me with both my '07 (5.4 V8) and '17 (3.5 EB) Expeditions (and both with the former 6-speed transmission) was 62 mph and using fuel in the no worse than 9 mph range with a 6000 pound hybrid trailer.

With your weight trailer you shouldn't even need Tow/Haul which might be running you needlessly in a lower gear and burning more fuel. Don't cost nothing to try.

-- Chuck

CCDC

Reaction score
Towing our 28 travel trailer loaded to aprox 8500lbs I get 70mph -5.3, 65mph- 6.5, 60mph- 7.8. towing in boost kills the eco, watch the boost gauge.

LG_123

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are some good suggestions for improving your mpg. I get 10-12 when towing our 7000# Springdale which is much taller than yours. Aerodynamics matter far more than weight for towing.

- Use premium fuel (higher octane and lower ethanol will both improve fuel economy and be cheaper while towing)
- Slow down
- Ensure tires are properly inflated and all that.

Savannah Dan

Reaction score
Side note: I took the same drive in my '17 Expy up to the country that I take every weekend. It's a two and a half hour drive. Had a 10-20 mph headwind most of the way. I got 2.7mpg less than I usually get.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With my 2019 Expedition Max on 93 octane, if I drove 65 MPH or less and stayed light on the throttle, the MPG towing ~6000 LBS varied between 13-15 MPG. I noticed over the years that one or two passing maneuvers, using a lead foot, or driving over 65 MPH will drop it substantially.

Last edited:

ediddily

Reaction score
Ford made all newer expeditions (4th gens) with a V6 turbo [I think] and less towing capacity. I have a 07 XLT, with the 5.4 V8, 9000lb tow capacity, and we tow a 6000lb travel trailer in summers and we average ~12-13mpg in all gears. I only use the tow mode on hills. I'd suggest slow your roll and take 'er easy. In reality your only supposed to go 55mpg w/ a trailer but we all know no one does. I average 60-70mph before the wife starts bytching on my speed. I've seen many people with larger rigs going much faster. Kinda dangerous in my opinion. I only utilize ~30-50% of the power when on flat roads and 50-70% up hills. Just find the sweet spots for your car.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Towing capacity actually improved from my 9000 pound capacity '07 5.4V8 to 9200 pound '17 3.6V6. But 200 pounds either way makes no difference. Not sure the source of your generalization that "your (sic) only supposed to go 55mpg w/ a trailer." It's 65mph in Nevada. :)

-- Chuck

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Towing capacity actually improved from my 9000 pound capacity '07 5.4V8 to 9200 pound '17 3.6V6. But 200 pounds either way makes no difference. Not sure the source of your generalization that "your (sic) only supposed to go 55mpg w/ a trailer." It's 65mph in Nevada. :)

-- Chuck
The 55 mph is likely California speed limit for vehicles that are towing. My father is still in NYC and is surprised when I tell him we routinely exceed 80 mph here in Texas, especially in the stretch between San Antonio and El Paso. Most trailers come with tires rated for 65 mph, but they can be upgraded to ST tires with a higher rating. The trailer tires and fuel consumption are the main reason I stay below 70 when towing.

if you have larger diameter tires, I’d guess it’s probably staying in a lower gear?
My ‘19 with 3.73 final gear towing 24’ enclosed 7000lbs averages 9.5mpg going 70-75mph.

I usually get 9 - 10 mpg traveling between 65 and 70 mph. Lower gears are not necessarily bad, as the Ecoboost will run rich when on boost, which it what is does when using the overdrive gears while towing. Locking out the top gears can actually improve mpg.