Really strange new issue... Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATED WITH VIDEO! SEE BELOW FOR LINK!

Okay so I promise I'm not going insane lol. This morning on my way home from work I started the truck and noticed the typical ford power steering whine was a little more noticeable. Chalked it up to having gotten down to 20 degrees last night as it normally does this when the fluid is really cold. Well I'm pulling out of the driveway and I make the slightest correction with the wheel and it sounds like someone took a megaphone and hit a tuning fork against while pointed right at me. Only lasted a second maybe two. Freaked me out so I shut the radio off to listen closer. Pull out on the road and it does it again also making a slight correction. Now I'm thinking its power steering issue but I've never heard a noise like this. I try turning the wheel more aggressively as I go down the road and can't get it to replicate. About 2 min later it does it again when I slightly correct with the wheel but less noticeably this time. A min after that and the truck is up to operating temp and it doesn't happen again for the rest of my ride home. Get up this afternoon and drive down to pick up my kids at the end of the driveway (over 1/4 mile) and nothing. Leave for work around 630 and it seems fine. I get about a mile away and it does it again as I slightly correct the wheel. Does it one more time about 40 seconds later and then that's it. The rest of the drive to work is fine. Called and asked my father who's been an ASE master tech for 40 years and he's never heard of anything like it and says he'll have to try and hear it when I come down on Saturday. So in the mean time I'm going out on a limb and seeing if any of you have any idea what it might be?
There's no metal on metal sound, no squeal or whining noise. Just this really loud odd harmonic sound. I'm thinking it has something to do with the power steering but honestly I have no clue. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeff532003

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I went out on break at work and went for a ride with my video camera on to see if I could get to happen while filming. I noticed it was pulling to the right so I got out and looked and the drivers side tire was half flat. Stopped at the gas station and it was below 10 psi. Filled it back up to 37 and it's driving straight as an arrow. Hopefully the one low tire was causing a vibration that caused something in the front end to ring like that and there all it was.

OP
OP
Jeff532003

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe something loose ? caliper , rotor , etc ...

Just did the brakes a little over a week ago. Snugged and lubed everything up good but if it keeps up I'll double check. Pedal feels perfect though. Nice and smooth and no vibrations when I apply the brake.
I'm really hoping it was just that tire being really low on air. I'll have to inspect it for a nail when it's light out.

OP
OP
Jeff532003

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odd harmonic noise 98 ford expedition 4.6 - YouTube

Sooooo it was worse than ever this morning. Managed to capture the sound on video. Any ideas at all? If you don't want to watch the whole thing it is at it's worst at around 2 minutes in. I could almost faintly make out a noise from the passenger side when I popped the hood but its hard to tell over the fan. I'm beginning to think it might have something to do with the new belt tensioner I installed 2 weeks ago. Did not notice the noise until yesterday morning though.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is a wierd one.

At first, I just thought the background noise I was hearing was a bad idler pulley. I had one go bad on me a few years ago and that's what it sounded like.

But that wasn't the sound you were talking about, (for those that are looking, the best example of it is at 2:02 in the video). That one I have no idea. Definately some type of sympathetic vibration.

But to me, that almost sounded like it was in cabin. I would think that if it was belt related that it would be more muffled than that.

OP
OP
Jeff532003

Jeff532003

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It does sound like its being projected right into the cabin but if I roll the window down I can hear it coming from under the hood. I suppose I'm going to have to try and replicate it while I'm under the hood listening. So far I've only got it to happen under load.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket CAI? Sometimes you can get a whistle from them, especially the K&N ones. Other than that, you got me.