Rear axle seals leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

house of wax

Reaction score
Just recently discovered the seals on the rear differential have a slight leak on both sides (where the axles meet). Just wondering if any of you have done this or had it done. If you had a shop replace them, how much did it cost? If anyboy has done this themselves, what's all involved. Thanks for any help

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2wd or 4wd?
Going to assume yours is the 2009 listed in your profile since you didn't state it in your post. What type of rear end did they use?

Truck3

Reaction score
yup same thing

noticed this on mine after a week long sub-zero temps. I need to find the link for it, but there is a ford service bulletin out on this. Essentially, in vehicles kept in extreme cold conditions, there appears to be an initial leak of assembly lube outside of the seals. This is confirmed through the use of UV dye added to the rear end and then checked with a UV light. In most cases, it was found there was no leak of the axle seal into the differential. Therefore, the area is cleaned with solvent and returned to the customer. No further leaks were detected.

Yeah, I know, this sounds crazy at first, but, my vehicle spent most of its life in the SW part of the US and had never been subjected to sub-zero temps. When I bought the vehicle in the spring of 2015, there was not a drip of fluid, rust or anything under it. I inspected it with a fine tooth comb. When this happened there were 3 small drips on the garage floor below the differential. I did an internet search on the issue and found that service bulletin. As luck would have it, I did clean the area with solvent, and never had another drip afterward. Call me crazy, but it was confirmed by the dealer who performed a dye test and found no evidence of a leak. I had the gear lube and gasket changed as a precaution and, again, no leaks.
I will try to re-locate that service bulletin and post it here if I can find it.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your seal is bad. Mine weeps or seeps when its really cold and needs to be replaced. Its not uncommon to happen on IRS and IFS systems. Should cost 200-500 depending on where you take it, or could be cheap if you have the tools and know how. FYI you need to disconnect the suspension in order to be able to pull out the CV axle. Oh and usually I do both seals but some might consider that extreme. I just like to know that Im not going to have to replace another $30 seal down the road.