Rear defrost, and tail gate button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tleone

Reaction score
Hello, anyone have troubles with rear defrost cable coming off the window(2019 xlt trim)? Had ford try soldering then eventually replaced the window but on a road trip I noticed its off again. My spouse blamed me saying it must be something Im doing, but curious if others had the same issue.

Another issue that was fixed with warranty was the rear hatch button, but after a week it was “sticking” and just not working again.

Expy7

Reaction score
Hey, I know its been a very long time since you posted but I had these same exact issues. I am not sure if the rear defrost is fixed as I have to wait until winter when it gets cold enough again, but their "resolution" final fix was replacing a couple wiring harnesses or something that lead to the rear defrost (a Ford engineer had to come out and look at it), and to get the sticky button fixed, they replaced the entire interior plastic panel on the inside of the tail gate. I went through 3 or 4 sticky buttons. It was also causing a secondary issue of making my interior lights come on because the vehicle thought it was depressed even though the tailgate was closed.

CraZcracker

Reaction score
Hello, anyone have troubles with rear defrost cable coming off the window(2019 xlt trim)? Had ford try soldering then eventually replaced the window but on a road trip I noticed its off again. My spouse blamed me saying it must be something Im doing, but curious if others had the same issue.

Another issue that was fixed with warranty was the rear hatch button, but after a week it was “sticking” and just not working again.
I recently bought my new expedition from my aunt. One side of the cable is off. I say one bc I believe there is one on each side? Maybe not. But I haven’t taken it in to get it fixed under warranty yet.

OP
OP
T

Tleone

Reaction score
Hey, I know its been a very long time since you posted but I had these same exact issues. I am not sure if the rear defrost is fixed as I have to wait until winter when it gets cold enough again, but their "resolution" final fix was replacing a couple wiring harnesses or something that lead to the rear defrost (a Ford engineer had to come out and look at it), and to get the sticky button fixed, they replaced the entire interior plastic panel on the inside of the tail gate. I went through 3 or 4 sticky buttons. It was also causing a secondary issue of making my interior lights come on because the vehicle thought it was depressed even though the tailgate was closed.
This fall I got it officially fixed again, and they soldered it on, with epoxy overtop! Hoping it holds! I think overall it might be a design fail and the cords look stressed when the glass is flipped up.
We were just past the KM warranty, so they didn't want to replace the plastic piece (they told us once they had our vehicle as we were just past warrenty and didnt realize), so my husband said he was going to cut the slot to make larger; they ended up doing that and it has been working so far.
It is interesting you say about the lights as there has been a few times our interior lights wouldn't shut off and I could never figure it out but makes sense now!!

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
I just had this happen to me. It took several tries re-soldering it myself to get it to stick. Ultimately i had to heat the tab (away from the window) with a propane torch to get the solder hot enough to stick. Locking pliers to hold it, torch to heat it and then i stuck it in place and held until it cooled. Its been about 4 weeks since the repair, no problems. We just recently had a cold snap here and shes still connected. Hopefully it stays for the long haul. I will say though during my repair i noticed that the coiled cable that connects to it was kind of stiff and pulled hard on the tab. I stretched it out just ever so slightly and that seemed to lighten the tension on the tab.