Rear diff question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muchocheko

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have a 2012 Limited 4x4. I just bought a travel trailer and am thinking about changing the rear diff fluid. The vehicle has about 65000 miles.

The manual and several posts on the internet say not to replace the rear diff fluid unless it has been submerged (which it hasn't). But that's for the for the limited slip diff. The LSD also requires friction modifier if changed.

My question is, do I really need to change this, and if so, how do I know which one I have?

I've looked up the VIN and can't find the info.

I'm only doing this as preventative maintenance. No problems so far.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can check the tag on the differential.
I am not sure what the tags are for these rigs to cross reference.
Just lift the rear and spin the wheel on one side of the opposite wheel spins the same direction you have LSD if it goes the opposite direction you do not.

I change all my differential and transfer case fluid at 50k miles.

Plati

Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

muchocheko

Reaction score
Thanks both of you for your help. I do have the hd tow package, at least according to the window sticker. There is an aux radiator of some kind in addition to the normal one for the engine and I have the 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connections, as well as the pre-wire for the brake controller.

I using the links provided, I also found out that mine has the conventional diff with the 3.13. Guess I don't need to friction modifier.
Thanks again.