Rear hatch operability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidilan

Reaction score
My remote rear hatch opening function -- where you stick your foot under the bumper on either side of the tow hitch -- is out of commission. I have a feeling it's related to the fact that I Plasti-Dipped the fascia cover in black. Anyone have knowledge on how this works? I do not see any optical sensors underneath, but did notice two small boxes mounted to the inside of the lower edge of the bumper. But these would have to sense "through" the bumper....

Thanks.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine works but not all the time. Very long delay when it does work.

st381183

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That foot sensor is finicky and mostly a gimmick. When my arms are full and my balance is, shall we say iffy, the darn thing will not work. Kick, kick, kick, nearly fall, kick, kick, drop something, curse, curse, open with the handle.

My kids enjoy trying to trigger the sensor but I think it’s a
solution looking for a problem. Quicker and easier to open in the conventional way.

Randy_270

Reaction score
Maybe you guys aren't as dumb as me but I found out, after multiple times of trying to open the hatch by kicking, that you need to have the key with you when you open it with the kicking method. No key, no kicky-open. After I found that out, it works for me almost all the time.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not for me or my spouse. Maybe its my battery in the fobs, mines sometimes wont unlock the doors or ill try to turn it on and it says no key when its in the cupholder. For the hatch, mines wont open, but will close using the kick.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wash the dang thing.

And remove any gunk or plastidip on wherever the sensor is

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I kno thats not mines problem, shes bathed once a wk, sometimes more.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No sensor, There is actually a antenna wire that runs along the inner lip of the fascia. It plugs into a receiver box with a plastic cover that is attached to the fascia just inside the driver side frame rail. Even though the antenna wire is connected using a weatherpac connector it may have moisture in it. There is a specific procedure to open the rear hatch in the owners manual. Key fob within three feet and one sweep of the foot straight in and out, not side to side.