Rear Liftgate Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy,

I just took my '17 to the dealer to have them look at my driver door alignment. Its a trim piece on the rear edge of the window that mates to the gap with the rear door. It has rubbed the paint off both pieces. They're going to replace the trim piece, and then take a look at the wind noise (it sounds like the door isn't sealing tight, either). I'll post a photo of the defect tomorrow.

This isn't a great picture but you can see that the top of the driver's side door is out away from the roof line and the seal between the two doors.

IMG_5335.JPG

After

IMG_5677.JPG

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's the drivers side detail. Notice you can't see the rubber seal between the two vertical trim pieces. And they are touching each other; paint is gone, down to bare metal.

IMG_0211[1].JPG

Here is the passenger side for comparison.

IMG_0214[1].JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy, they did a very good job getting yours aligned.
Thanks. I have no idea what the did but it was quick no more than 15 minutes from the time that I dropped it off until they told me it was ready. I dropped it off walked into the showroom looked at a few cars on the floor talked to a salesman walked back over to the body shop and the service writer said it was ready to go.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope they are going to replace those pieces rather than repaint the. Here's the after picture of mine.

They're going to replace the piece. I still say the door is misaligned, but we'll see when the trim is replaced. If they want to easter egg with their money instead of mine, so be it. To be clear, the dealership is being very helpful with this.

Rigpig

Reaction score
Thanks. I have no idea what the did but it was quick no more than 15 minutes from the time that I dropped it off until they told me it was ready. I dropped it off walked into the showroom looked at a few cars on the floor talked to a salesman walked back over to the body shop and the service writer said it was ready to go.

The tech likely just used his bare hands to tweak that corner of the door in.

Last edited:

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:

Just got back from the dealership: bad news. The body shop guy says the front door, and possibly the rear door, is misaligned. Really bad news: In order to get to the front door bolts, they have to remove the front fender.

Fabulous.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update:

Just got back from the dealership: bad news. The body shop guy says the front door, and possibly the rear door, is misaligned. Really bad news: In order to get to the front door bolts, they have to remove the front fender.

Fabulous.
Well Bob, I'm sorry to hear that. I guess you just have to let them do what they need to do. It's under warranty so other than "knowing" what they had to do do there won't be any damage to worry about. When are they going to do it?