Rear suspension failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyytv

Reaction score
Hi all, I have read most posts about the rear sagging and how to's for diagnosis. Many good posts. All helpful, but no solution for me. So, hear we go. The 1998 expedition 4X4 has the body on the rear bump stops. rear Bags will not inflate. Compressor comes on. Solenoid under drivers door gets voltage and air passes through. Solenoid on air bag gets voltage. air is coming out of line at air bag when the line is removed. Hook everything back up and no inflation. I would think it must be the air bag. But, no hissing of air when the air line is attached. If it were the air bag, why would both fail at the same time? If the solenoid at the air bag failed, why both sides at the same time? The height sensor function correctly, ie, can remove from post and by moving up and down, turn compressor on/off. Since I have no experience with this system, I cannot say that the air pressure is correct, other than to say I thought it would feel higher. Could the problem be that the compressor is not giving enough pressure? Must it be the (both) air bags? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you rig a line from your shop air compressor and test the bags

OP
OP
S

skyytv

Reaction score
No shop compressor. I thought of that. Will have to borrow one. Assume I would need to have ignition on to open solenoid at bag. How much pressure? Maybe 90 psi? Maybe apply pressure just after the fill solenoid under the drivers door. This way both bags should inflate. Thoughts?