Rear Sway bar?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check for leaking oil from shocks first.... that's free

Will check for leaking shocks but I doubt that's the case. It's moreso me not being familiar with the Expedition in relation to my driving experience with F150s/F250s and previous SUVs.

I am going to get the Hellwig Swaybars regardless. We plan on keeping this Expy for awhile, even bought the Ford 7 year extended warranty. So, I don't mind dropping $800 on front/rear sway bar.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The sway bar borrows spring rate from the opposite side netting in stiffer spring rates overall. The bar eliminates a bunch of the up down stupid behaviors the Expedition has prior to the bar.

That's part of how they work, but physically a sway bar is more like a torsion bar. The sway motion in a vehicle produces a twisting motion in the bar, which since it's solid metal, it resists that twist and reduces the side to side motion of the vehicles mass above the center of gravity. This why it functions much like a torsion bar helping to as you said, move some of the weight between suspension components on both sides.

But it's all part of the system and all of it works together to improve ride stability and control. More detail of its function and a great description can be found here: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/ca...sway bar works by,wheels as level as possible.

OP
OP
D

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's part of how they work, but physically a sway bar is more like a torsion bar. The sway motion in a vehicle produces a twisting motion in the bar, which since it's solid metal, it resists that twist and reduces the side to side motion of the vehicles mass above the center of gravity. This why it functions much like a torsion bar helping to as you said, move some of the weight between suspension components on both sides.

But it's all part of the system and all of it works together to improve ride stability and control. More detail of its function and a great description can be found here: https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/how-does-a-sway-bar-work-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-affect-my-vehicles-handling/#:~:text=A sway bar works by,wheels as level as possible.

Its 100% a torsion bar. It's using it's force on the opposite sides spring rate, essentially borrowing spring rate to stiffen the initial side up.

Jarred

Reaction score
Just looked on the Hellwig site and nothing comes up for the 2020 rear sway bar. Any suggestions?

Jarred

Reaction score
Are we stuck ordering from Hellwig at this point? I looked on their site and it says 8-10 weeks.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been waiting for my Hellwig bars for :mad: 8 weeks now...:(
Maybe week 11 is the charm!:dancingpoop:

Deep8174

Reaction score
Can someone post some install pics? Seems easy enough but I do not have a car jack and will be using ramps instead. It's best to install it while the vehicle's own weight is on level ground correct?

Last edited:

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ramps are fine, that's how I did mine. There are some pretty simple directions in the box, but just remove the end links with a small open end wrench, and a large wrench, holding the post in position while you loosen the nylon insert nuts. Remove both sides, then remove the bolts holding the bar to the frame. Install is just opposite but don't crank anything down until all end links are in place and secure.