Rear wiper not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Rear wiper worked intermittently even after cleaning and lubricating the transmission/wiper arm. Determined motor was getting power so replaced motor. New motor works when the glass is open but does not work when glass is closed. Wiper transmission is thoroughly lubricated and free moving.

Any idea why the motor works with glass open but not when glass is closed?
It's as if a safety switch became inverted.

Thanks

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does that sound anything like this Forum thread?
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2012-rear-wiper-odd-problem.41303/

hmmm … both in Minnesota?
did you get the one he returned?

Any suggestions for preventative maintenance on the rear wiper?

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new - and driven in the Midwest with lots of rain, snow and sleet.

The rear wiper works fine (now....), and I use Motorcraft replacement wiper blades - but if there is some basic, simplest maintenance I can do, I’d like to do it.

Thank you.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When that transmission seizes up its over for it. The motor rarely ever goes out on these, it’s almost always the aluminum thru glass transmission. Mine would not work properly even after I lubricated it until I replaced, then it worked correctly. Are you saying it works by hand with glass up? Yea my money is on that part.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Any suggestions for preventative maintenance on the rear wiper?

I own a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, purchased new - and driven in the Midwest with lots of rain, snow and sleet.

The rear wiper works fine (now....), and I use Motorcraft replacement wiper blades - but if there is some basic, simplest maintenance I can do, I’d like to do it.

Thank you.
I don't know of any PM for that "through the glass" bronze bushing.
Refurbishment is a good cleaning and relubrication like in this video.

When relubricating the wiper shaft/bushing … use a water resistant grease like this
https://www.belray.com/product/waterproof-grease/
that might be considered PM in this case

rowekmr

Reaction score
Mine was so seized on a Navi I just got I could not move the arm with the rear glass open. After liberal use of penetrant I got it to move with resistance. Unfortunately it already took out the motor so ended up taking it to Ford who replaced the motor and the wiper arm assembly and now it works well.

Plati

Reaction score
Mine was so seized on a Navi I just got I could not move the arm with the rear glass open. After liberal use of penetrant I got it to move with resistance. Unfortunately it already took out the motor so ended up taking it to Ford who replaced the motor and the wiper arm assembly and now it works well.
IMHO … to do it right you have to take it apart like in the video and clean it up.
Its fairly easy. I've had that seize up several times on 2 different older Expys and I never burned out the motor … guess I'm lucky.