Rec: Don't Use Spray Valve Cleaner!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
On our motors you should be spraying after the Throttle Body directly in to the intake AFTER the throttle body. Follow the instructions on the can. Keep motor at or above 2000, but below 3500. A second person makes this MUCH easier.

Turn the can upside down and spray in the hole created by removing the tube in the attached picture. Do not hold Can sideways. It is designed to be sprayed straight up or upside down, not on its side.

Some of the early gen 3.5TT’s in the 150, that spot just has a plug so it makes it even easier. Have helped several friends do their 150’s.

931ae3fcb3a26aa97377628a6ab05523.jpg

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Another thing that was mentioned was the heat created when using a spray in cleaner. They claim it burns significantly hotter and heat was a bigger concern than deposit's. The warning I read didn't even mention deposits going through the turbo's just excessive heat

Reaction score
Thanks Lokiwolf! that's the port I was looking for. Do I need some sort of cap with a hole drilled in it to spray in? or will the sensors play nice with that line disconnected?

That's exactly the cleaner I'm using. Good stuff!

Last question. Do you remove your IC to clean it or did you drill a relief hole on the bottom?

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Mike, I tried the CRC intake valve and turbo cleaner at the manifold map sensor and then, before the throttle body and it caused the engine to over rev both times. I think the map sensor(s) will detect a low boost/no vacuum condition causing the engine to rev high. It worked fine spraying after the air filter tho...

If you spray after the air filter it will go through the turbos which I think is what everyone is trying to avoid.

I wonder if the spray cleaner is being burned like gasoline and that is causing the engine to rev up?

I will need to look to see if there are any vacuum ports on the manifold that you can remove and spray into there. I am glad I have my JLT catch can which will catch most of the crankcase oil vapors.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you spray after the air filter it will go through the turbos which I think is what everyone is trying to avoid.

I wonder if the spray cleaner is being burned like gasoline and that is causing the engine to rev up?

I will need to look to see if there are any vacuum ports on the manifold that you can remove and spray into there. I am glad I have my JLT catch can which will catch most of the crankcase oil vapors.

See my picture above Mike. That is where it needs to be sprayed in our Motors. The location avoids all of the issues mentioned. Avoids the Turbos Inlet Side, Sensors, and the Throttle Body.

1) Start the truck.
2) Let come to temp.
3) Disconnect Tube in Picture above. Engine will idle slightly higher, you will hear air being drawn in on this port.
4) Have 2nd person bring Engine to 2000, and attempt to maintain while spraying. Spray in bursts with can either straight up or straight upside down. Each burst, will cause RPM’s to lower. Other person again try’s to maintain 2K.
5) The instructions say to use the whole can. In most cases I have used half, and then the owner does it again in a week or so.
6) Read the can, but I know you are supposed to rev it a few times, but do not exceed 3500, then turn the motor off and let it soak.
7) 1 Hour later you take a 10 minute Highway Speed Drive.
8) For the drive I take it easy going out, and in the return I give it an Italian tune up, or drive it like I stole it!

All of the people I have helped with this were 60K plus in Miles, and it improved their MPG and in some cases brought back some lost acceleration.

My thought is to do it every 10K or so on the Expy from this point forward and maintain, so it never gets gummed up. Factor in the JLT catch can, and it should not be a problem.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Lokiwolf! that's the port I was looking for. Do I need some sort of cap with a hole drilled in it to spray in? or will the sensors play nice with that line disconnected?

That's exactly the cleaner I'm using. Good stuff!

Last question. Do you remove your IC to clean it or did you drill a relief hole on the bottom?

No cap. I have seen people use Tape to create an extension from the port, but I just stick the tube in and spray. The port is under vacuum so the liquid goes right in. I hold the Can upside down, and typically remove the plastic Engine cover to just create a little more space.

Our IC already has the weep hole. To do a proper cleaning would be to remove. I do not plan on doing that anytime soon.