Remote Start - 2010 - Best options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjayn

Reaction score
I did some reading and seems almost all the threads are dealing with the Ford Factory remote starter issues or How many key fobs argument.

I would really just like to know where start researching for the best remote starter for a 2010 Expedition. I would like to know, or know where to start looking for the cheapest, the easiest, the best, and the best compromise(price and features). Then make a decision.

- The wife asked for one for christmas.

- Basically we would like to hit a button inside the house and start the truck on those cold winter mornings.

- While one key Fob sounds great, I don't really care.

- Just starting my research so I don't know available options. But I don't think I need anything but remote start(no extra security, no fancy purple lights)

Can anyone get me started....Thanks

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at many and went with a Viper system. Went with the 2-way system and recommend it. Personally I had no need for the LCD remote style and am happy with LED version. Aux button on mine is programmed to operate power lift gate and completely replaces the factory FOBs. 4806V model, or something very similar.

This is a remote start only, not a security system, but it is 'expandable' and will work with a Viper alarm module or the Viper cell phone module should I want those systems later.

The fancy purple light on mine is blue, its integrated into the antenna receiver that is mounted to the windshield behind the rear view mirror. You can easily cover this LED with a piece of black tape if you prefer. I also recall the installer telling me he could disable it software-wise. There were a lot of functions/features that they can add/remove or modify software wise. For example, run time duration, restart or not after timeout, inside or outside temperature consideration, etc.

Installer also had to use a PATS bypass module or something along those lines. Seems like it was called a D-ball or I-Data-Link or similar. There is no extra key hidden in the steering column or any nonsense like that. The systems and bypass module, labor, tax, and whatever else needed seems like it was right about $600 and they had the truck for several hours one day.

OP
OP
M

mjayn

Reaction score
Flex, Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate it. I am not against any lights or features, I just want to pay for remote start and not extras.

$600 is a tad on the expensive side for me, but thanks for the info, and I will start with the viper system in my research.

Thanks again.

Jeff, thank you for the offer. If you still have it when I know what the heck is going on with remote starters(after my research) I will let you know. 2 weeks is my guess on time.

tsingson

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am using the Viper Smart Start in 2 of my vehicles. It's nice because I can control 2 vehicles with my phone. The one thing that sucks is that you have to pay for a year subscription but when you think about it, it's only about 5 or 6 bucks a month. You just have to pay it all up front. It's nice because I can use my smart watch and start it as well.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Flex, Thanks for the detailed info. I appreciate it. I am not against any lights or features, I just want to pay for remote start and not extras.

$600 is a tad on the expensive side for me, but thanks for the info, and I will start with the viper system in my research.

Thanks again.

Jeff, thank you for the offer. If you still have it when I know what the heck is going on with remote starters(after my research) I will let you know. 2 weeks is my guess on time.

No rush brother, it's be on a shelf in my basement most likely. I restore vitage bikes so I've got lots of parts that I SHOULD be fleabaying but I never seem to have the time to post them!

Good luck with what ever you do!

jeff

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford 100 series is plug and play, small remote hangs on my bedroom wall. I start truck while dressing and ready to leave by the time i'm downstairs. Only down side is seat heaters don't turn on automatically in the '10. Maybe switching option 8 will do it but no one ever tried it. The say the seat heaters can be wired into some aftermarket systems if installer is good.