Removed 2nd row middle seat, now have seat belt malfunction error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Y

Yoda

Reaction score
Thanks @techdud99! I did a factory reset last night when I read your reply. It did not clear the seat belt error, but it also didn't delete all my pre programmed radio stations. So I don't think it reset all that it needed. Did you reset from the "Settings/General Settings/Master Reset"?

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First I reset everything to the defaults and when I realized that there was still personal information I did the Master Reset from the General menu you mentioned.

I thought the Master Reset also reset the defaults, but that may not be the case.

If you don't care about the presets, try the resetting the defaults first and then do another master reset and post back.

rmwave

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just joined this forum and did a search before submitting this question, so hopefully I didn't miss it and someone can help me.

I have a 2019 with 2nd row bench seating. With 3 kids and a dog we wanted captains chairs instead. So I removed the middle seat, now have a cheap version of 'captains chairs' (meaning no arm bar). Works great and works for my family!

My only question is overriding the 'Seat belt Malfunction' error every time I turn the ignition on. I hit 'OK' and it clears the error. The manual indicates I can override the seat belt warning for the two front seats, but no indication of being able to override it for the back seats. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance!

rmwave

Reaction score
Have you put a code reader on it ? I had a similar issue. Mine was “pass side seatbelt pretensioner” . As a temp.fix. I looked up the return signal ohms. That resistance returns to SRS system to tell it that, that particular sensor is OK. Mine was an 06. The required ohms was 2.3. +/- .5... I purchased a 25 cent 2.3 ohm resister, added a couple strands to the very thin wire on the resister, plugged it into the back of plug. Cleared the code with the reader. And “no more code”...Hope that can put you in the right direction anyway.

OP
OP
Y

Yoda

Reaction score
@techdude99 - I did everything I could think of to reset the sync system. Master reset, default reset and even did a disconnect of the battery (fully drained any charge) and still the error code did not clear.

@rmwave - thanks for the suggestions! I have not put a reader on it. I'll have to do some research on that as I'm not familiar with all that you said. But I'll do my homework to try to figure it out.

I am going call the dealership to see what they tell me. Although I suspect they will want to see it themselves.

charles.jessjr

Reaction score
We have a 2018 Max Platinum and I did the same thing as you, I removed the second row middle seat. When I did research on this initially, I am pretty sure where I read you need to make sure the seat belt was not latched. You might want to re-set the seat, plug in the harness. turn the truck on, and see if you get an error, latch the belt if needed. See if you can get the error to go away. Once the error is gone, then remove the harness, and check for the error again. Hopefully that works for you.

On another note, I found a company that will make you a 2nd row custom carpeted floormat with the middle "isle". I also ordered a custom 3rd row mat. Total was almost $200 but so very worth it. Especially to have a 3rd row floor mat when Ford doesn't give that as an option.

OP
OP
Y

Yoda

Reaction score
@charles.jessjr - Thanks for the information. I did uninstall while the seatbelt was unlatched. But I did what you suggested and the error goes away immediately when I plug it back in. As soon as I remove the connection the error comes back. I called the dealership because I have read that messing with Forscan 'could' forfeit the warranty. I'm waiting to hear back from them since the service guy I talked to needed to discuss the options with the technicians.

I also ordered the floormats for the captain chair model. It came in one piece with the 3rd row included. It's from smartliner and only cost me $85. Looks great! I filled in the holes with foam cut out to the size and shape to help with any possible moisture.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger