Removed Front Airdam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Another big day yesterday... Decided even though my Airdam was the stubby FX4 one (roughly 2.75 inches) I figured I'd keep it on after the lift. But... well... umm...

Removing it is pretty straight forward, but I would consider getting the nose up on ramps to make your life easier. To keep your life, PSA: never fully trust ramps--even the metal ones but especially the plastic ones. Always use jack stands under a substantial placement point in your vehicle and only on flat ground. 'Nuff said.

You will need 5.5mm and 10mm sockets handy as there are a lot of the bolts to be removed, some of them hidden a bit. Take your time, don't force the air dam b/c you might have missed a bolt or two. Pull back to the rear, and it should pop off clean. *Note, all pics are after the dam was removed*

39423-e68c143fd1fd01270558dfd9cc6193c3.jpg

Yes, it looks rough:

39420-eb52dac8eb1e4803e27fa47fe6f583dd.jpg

39419-fa826f946424d7dbcfd9e4a972c2556d.jpg

Next remove these awful things. YMMV, but I found a thin screwdriver or two to be the ticket. They will likely not come of easily, and mar where they normally reside.

39421-5df81baa956e84700caa4dc0020c7980.jpg

The front bumper of this thing is wicked flimsy and the airdam dues add strutural integrity to it. I do not know if it makes a difference, but I quick-added some ziptes to the front skidplate (IDK if this is an FX4 only item, but I believe it is?). Yes, they are blue for now but I will be adding black (and I cut of the tails). I also think I may tuck the bumper tabs in the "up" position in case I get hung up and have to back off something. Make them snug, but not too tight as you don't want it to eat up the plastic bumper or chew up the ziptie. Also not sure where the tie might end up if it snaps--so use at your own risk.

39424-215b46f4324a451621db263b7291d7d2.jpg

Once it is off, voila! :33:

Enjoy the look and additional ground clearance and slightly less 'aeros/fuel mileage (or whatever else it is supposed to do) and wonder why it had to be so complicated of an attachment! The fender liner bolt/slots, I have other plans for... YMMV.

Elcid

Reaction score
Agree looks so much better without it. I took mine off the night I brought it home. Haven’t noticed any air noise or performance with mixed Hwy/town use since.