Replace LSD with standard diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced the fluid and added friction modifier to the LSD in my 04 Expy with towing package. Still getting shudder after driving on the Freeway for a while. Fluid's the recommended newer fully synthetic type, friction modifier the Motorcraft one.

I read that when these trucks were still under warranty, dealers apparently kept replacing clutch packs on these only for the problem to return soon after. Has anyone swapped the LSD for a standard differential and fixed the issue more permanently that way? What parts need to be changed?

Thanks!

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked into the clutch pack on Amazon. Reasonably priced. From my reading from web search you'll need: clutch pack, new fluid/friction modifier, gasket and I'm likely forgetting something.

I bought my '03 EB 2 wd with LSD and prefer the 9.75" diff which mine has. Former girlfriend had a non-LSD and was a bummer in icy/snowy/wet conditions. Had to do the old foot mat under the rear tire method to get the bugger free (one wheel w/ traction, other one not so much).

From what you are describing, the '04 has the clutch pack and not the electronic (braking) to implement LSD function. For me, I prefer the clutch pack.

I've only had to test the LSD 2 times in my region - works fine and I drive very reasonably since I have the State Farm drive safe and save app - lol.

I don't intend to replace w/non-LSD - sorry I can't assist there... I'm sure some shops or online vendors would consider a swap.

OP
OP
G

getdealtwith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I checked into the clutch pack on Amazon. Reasonably priced. From my reading from web search you'll need: clutch pack, new fluid/friction modifier, gasket and I'm likely forgetting something.

I bought my '03 EB 2 wd with LSD and prefer the 9.75" diff which mine has. Former girlfriend had a non-LSD and was a bummer in icy/snowy/wet conditions. Had to do the old foot mat under the rear tire method to get the bugger free (one wheel w/ traction, other one not so much).

From what you are describing, the '04 has the clutch pack and not the electronic (braking) to implement LSD function. For me, I prefer the clutch pack.

I've only had to test the LSD 2 times in my region - works fine and I drive very reasonably since I have the State Farm drive safe and save app - lol.

I don't intend to replace w/non-LSD - sorry I can't assist there... I'm sure some shops or online vendors would consider a swap.

I added some more friction modifier and will monitor the shudder. If it's not super noticeable I'll probably just leave it alone. In SoCal, snow and mud aren't a big issue but it's good to hear about your experience with a non-LSD in slippery conditions. Stay safe everyone