Replacement brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been running Akebono Pro ceramics for a few years and though I don't tow a travel trailer, I do haul cargo often (1,000+ in the truck, cargo trailer with 6,000+, etc). I've been satisfied with performance and lifespan. I can't even tell you how long the rears have been on there now. Ages.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I installed the powerstop Z36 rotors and pads just before the 4th of July. I do not tow but have had it loaded up w family and gear and made a couple 500mi round trips to Tennessee that way and I daily it to work, about 270mi a week.

I've been extremely pleased with performance. It stops better than it did prior to install, they make no detectable noise except under heavy braking and then its just the low rumble from being slotted...if you've ran that type of rotor you know what I'm talking about. I've had to make 2 full on panic stops (before I'm judged for not defensive driving one was someone walking out in front of another vehicle from between parked cars and another was a motorcycle that lost control and flipped about 150 yards in front of me on a 4 lane highway) and 3 lanes instantly locked up brakes.

My chest hurt both times from the seat belt. I'm not sure how much harder people expect a vehicle to stop w semi metallics but it seems plenty sufficient to me. There is almost no dust, I don't notice a coating on the wheels until about 6-700 miles and not washing it. Our navigator which i assume is running semi metallics is so dusty if I don't wash it by the end of a tank of gas the wheels look like i failed at painting them gunmetal and you can wipe off a fingertip full of dust w zero effort. I'll probably toss those pads in the spring when I rotate the tires for the first time. They create more dust than the Brembos on a corvette...and thats a lot of brake dust.

I have approx 4500mi on the rotors and pads now. Everything still looks new. The coating on the rotors has essentially prevented any corrosion. I will buy these again for the navigator.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else had luck with Powerstop Z36? Was thinking about this upgrade.

I put them on mine over the summer, haven’t had a true test with my 28’ boat. Pulled our horse trailer empty with no issues, no panic stops though, and of course the horse won’t load on the trailer, so no true tests for mine. No detectable brake dust, though.

Last edited:

Lynnii2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anyone else had luck with Powerstop Z36? Was thinking about this upgrade.

I have just replaced my PowerStop Z36 pads. The first set I put about 70,000 miles on them front and rear. I only tow 2 times a year, but my wife drives this truck every day to work in alot of stop and go traffic and they have held up very well over the years. I also have drilled/slotted rotors from Centric that have been on the truck for almost 4 years and have not had a problem either on this truck.

1970Maverick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know where there is a comparison between OEM and ANY aftermarket pads and/or rotors? I never tow a trailer but I drive my 2017 Expi like a sports car and I would like to find something with more stopping power without upgrading the calipers.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know where there is a comparison between OEM and ANY aftermarket pads and/or rotors? I never tow a trailer but I drive my 2017 Expi like a sports car and I would like to find something with more stopping power without upgrading the calipers.
Just change you brake fluid and run metallic pads, that's all you can do.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65