Replacements Struts for 2015 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Phil Wells

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I just joined. I really enjoy my 2015 Expedition King Ranch 4WD Expedition. When I've had to rent a new Exped or Yukon or Tahoe, I find that there are many things I like about my older model (can't think of them at the moment!) though, being a geek, I like some of the newer technical features. For example the Armada I am renting now keeps you a specific distance behind other cars when the cruise control is on, and it shows video of 360 degrees around the car as if there were a 360 degree cam on top.

I haven't done any retrofitting and I don't use it in really rough "Jeep style" terrain as I think many of you do but, we DO like to go out on dirt roads to get good quality landscape photos (If interested, https://www.flickr.com/photos/philipwells/albums/with/72157646693191234 and skip the Ham Radio and Titanium Rain albums).

I am not much of an auto DIY guy so it's in the local Ford shop right now for many things and one item is the rear struts. They say one is leaking a bit and both are near the expected replacement mileage (53k). Would like to know opinions about replacing the struts. SHOULD I? The quote is $1k for the 2. They won't replace with anything other than factory struts. Will Monroes or Bilstiens cost me more and are they worth it for my mild to moderate (and only a few times a year) off-road forays? Is this a good example of where a "poll" via this web interface would be useful? Or, too many options to poll successfully?

Unrelatred quesrion: looking up my VIN data, I got the impression that I can use ethanol with this 3.5L EcoBoost engine, though there are no warnings on the vehicle. T or F? Does FFV mean Flex Fuel Vehicle?

BTW, I was 6'10" when I bought this (shrunk an inch in the fast few years due to aging) and this is one reason why I have this, and had the 2012 4WD Exped before it, and the 2002 Tahoe 2WD before that. If you are big and looking to buy, it's got good legroom and, even with the sunroof, good headroom. And unlike an Explorer (e.g.) it has lots of shoulder room too. Also, being a ham radio operator, the metal chassis is MUCH better for 1/4 wave whip antennas than a fiberglass vehicle - I always get good reports from this car.

Thanks in advance and, after I get comfy with the forum, I hope I can share my experiences with some of you and, thus, "pay it forward".

Phil Wells
Murrieta, CA
2015 King Ranch 4WD, 3.5L Eco boost

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986