Replacing rear brake pads and rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Well, after hearing the right rear wheel squealing when i step on the brakes, I figured it was time to go ahead and replace them especially given many have noted the pads being worn around 30k miles. I'm just under 34k and did it last night with the help of this post and it was a piece of cake. I was surprised to see that the pads were not shot...maybe past half way but certainly not shot? Must have been a rock or something that was caught in the pad that caused the squeal.

Nonetheless, I figured for the $80 for pads and given I had already pulled them apart...didn't see any point in putting the old ones back on. Cheap insurance in my opinion and added peace of mind to have the updated part with more surface area to grab the rotorIMG_4215.jpgIMG_4216.jpgIMG_4217.jpgIMG_4218.jpg

tlochner

Reaction score
So I did an oopsie and did not know about parking brake maintenance mode. I failed to put it in parking brake maintenance mode and now it is too late. Does anyone know how to retract the parking brake at this point? The one time I don't do my research first... :facepalm:

jar0023

Reaction score
Nice guide!
Powerstop Z36 are a nice towing upgrade, for those of us towing.
Count me as a fan of the Powerstop Z36 as well. I had an 04 before buying my 18 FX4. With the 04 more boot to the brake pedal meant faster stopping. I was disappointed in my 18 because it seemed to stop on its own time. Brake fell was not very progressive. I found myself not getting stopped in time so I had to adjust. I also had the early cut away rear pads. They were toast at 35k miles. After two failed attempts to get the rear rotors to stay true I binned everything for the K36 kit. Couldn’t be happier. No noise, little dust, lots of stopping power. Have about 60k miles on the K36s.

Big_O

Reaction score
What about e-brake shoe pads? How often should they be replaced? I’m about to install Z36 pads and rotors. Haven’t inspected them but wondering if it should be replaced. 2016 with 140k miles. Braking good. I adjusted ebrake once but they always seem to go a long way to get them to bite.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What about e-brake shoe pads? How often should they be replaced? I’m about to install Z36 pads and rotors. Haven’t inspected them but wondering if it should be replaced. 2016 with 140k miles. Braking good. I adjusted ebrake once but they always seem to go a long way to get them to bite.
The fourth generation does not have a separate pad for the electric parking brake.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I did an oopsie and did not know about parking brake maintenance mode. I failed to put it in parking brake maintenance mode and now it is too late. Does anyone know how to retract the parking brake at this point? The one time I don't do my research first... :facepalm:
Did you get this figured out? Its really not that big of a deal. Through various streams of distractions and failures, I thought mine was in maint mode, but it wasn't. Really simple to just pull the cylinder out of the caliper completely, manually screw the plunger back it, finagle the rubber boot back around the cylinder, and bleed the brakes. Not the worst mistake that can be made. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ImWearingPants