Replacing the 08 Exp front grill???? Help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wtknght1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just bought my first Exp. It's an 08 EL Limited with ALL the goodies. It's got 38K on the clock and I picked it up for just 25K! Nice truck!! It's copper color and has a colored front grill, which I'd like to replace with the chrome one. I bought one from the dealer and am trying to replace it.

I've removed the plastic top cover and the 4 torx bolts, but now can't figure out how to remove those tabs at the bottom of the grill. They seem to be glued in the slots or something. Is there an easy way to get this thing off...and mount the new grill? :mad:

Please help if you know.
Thanks

Chris Ingle

Knautical2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wish I could help, I have a 07 EL and I have the chrome grill so there is no need to replace it. If I did have to replace it I would have to take it to the dealer just so I wouldn't screw it up. LOL :D

Knautical2001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would check on youtube and see if anyone else has posted anything about removing the grill. Just a suggestion.

OP
OP
W

wtknght1

Reaction score
I haven't been able to find one. I was hoping somebody out there on the forums would have done it...and could provide some tips.

RI-Matt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the entire front clip has to be removed then the grille clips can be accesed from the rear.

Tried attaching the pdf for this but it's too big.

Send me a PM with your email and I will send you a pdf about disassembly.

Matt

OP
OP
W

wtknght1

Reaction score
That was perfect Matt...worked great!! Thanks! It was a bit of a PITA, but I manged to get it swapped out today. I had to replace those stock Ford black rivets (that hold the actual grill to the bracket which bolts to the radiator support) with simple nuts and bolts, but other than that, it went fairly smooth.

I'm amazed just how hard it is to remove those damn plastic ribbed push pins...that holds the air deflectors in place. I basically just had to break 'em, and I replaced them with some AutoZone versions that worked well enough.

The hardest part was actually removing the grill from all those bumper cover tabs. I literally had to pry the tabs back with a small screwdriver. Luckily both the tabs and the grill are a flexible rubber/plastic material so I didn't have to break anything.

wwareham2008

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was perfect Matt...worked great!! Thanks! It was a bit of a PITA, but I manged to get it swapped out today. I had to replace those stock Ford black rivets (that hold the actual grill to the bracket which bolts to the radiator support) with simple nuts and bolts, but other than that, it went fairly smooth.

I'm amazed just how hard it is to remove those damn plastic ribbed push pins...that holds the air deflectors in place. I basically just had to break 'em, and I replaced them with some AutoZone versions that worked well enough.

The hardest part was actually removing the grill from all those bumper cover tabs. I literally had to pry the tabs back with a small screwdriver. Luckily both the tabs and the grill are a flexible rubber/plastic material so I didn't have to break anything.

+1
I am installing some street scene inserts and while I am in there changing the chrome grille to black and I could not believe how hard it was to get the grill off my expy. Thank god for this thread or I probably would have accidently broke a couple things.

FormerStangFan

Reaction score
I love the body colored grille. I honestly hate that plastic chrome grille on my expy. I wanted to change it out for a body color one but it's such a hassel