Replacing the Window Motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Konasan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys! Anybody knows how to replace driver side front window motor? I checked my Chilton Repair Manual and they didn't have it there just the regulator and the glass window. I'm gonna try to do this myself because i don't want to shell out $485 to the dealership to fix it. Thanks.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008, and I had to have both my front window regulators replaced shortly after buying the truck last year (used truck).

The lift motor is part of the regulator and can not be seperated from the regulator. My truck uses a cable controlled lift system as opposed to the older stlye scissors lift mechanical system.

Thankfully mine were covered by the extended warranty I made the dealer include in my deal.

Good luck.

Marc

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GsxS4XrwQQ

That is what you are going to want to watch. I used this vid to replace my window regulator about a week ago. That is, as long as your truck is a 1st gen. If it is later than 2002, just there might be some varying steps, but it will be essentially the same I would think. Also, like VT said, the motor is not really a replaceable piece. The regulator is designed to be replaced all at once. I bought mine from a junkyard for $20 out of a 99 Expy. Hope that helps you, good luck!

OP
OP
Konasan

Konasan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks VT. So definitely i still need to take out the regulator. Good thing you still have your warranty that time happened. @FordandPolaris Thanks for the vid. It looks hard than as I thought it would be especially when you put it back on (part 2 of the video) but atleast it gave an idea and a step by step process how to do it. Tricky but I'll give it a shot when I'll have the time. Thanks guys! :smile:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I had my old man to help me with it. Having the extra two hands makes it much easier! Just make sure to tape the window well if you do it yourself. Good luck.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the gen 1's are harder and more dangerous. the regulator is spring loaded and can take off fingers and break teeth.

OP
OP
Konasan

Konasan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the gen 1's are harder and more dangerous. the regulator is spring loaded and can take off fingers and break teeth.

Thanks for giving me a heads up on how dangerous it will be CARO'S98EB. I've been busy this couple months and didn't take care of this yet, But hopefully I can get on it soon.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
choice in parts is critical here. I paid $20 for the part, and $110 for labor. Before he put my part in, he said that the original ford part is over $100, but well worth it. He said that my part (purchased from jc whittney) would last between 1 day to 1 year at most. His suggestion was to get an original ford part....... I didnt listen...,...... part broke 1 week after instal.

OP
OP
Konasan

Konasan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh yea, didn't someone post a picture of themselves cut up from doing something like this?

Found it: http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=5520

OMG! CARO'S98EB is right. Now that I saw what happen to RustyH I'm not gonna risk to ruin my face and teeth for replacing the motor. I'll probably have to take it to my dad's mechanic. I'm pretty sure he has a vise or a kind of clamping tool take apart broken motor safely from the regulator and put in the new motor.

Thank you guys for your advice.