Rivets in roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ygfvdrrtffy

Reaction score
I took delivery of my 2021 Expedition in December after waiting 3 months for it to be built. Given it was in the middle of winter, we had a ton of snow and ice. Now that everything is melted, I noticed that you can see the welds/rivets in the roof under the roof rack as shown in the picture. Its like that on both sides. Does anyone know if this is normal from manufacturing or should Inraise a stink about it to be fixed? Given the indentations and such, I see this as a problem down the road.
guys goes into the Dr. and says, "every time I touch this area, it hurts", Dr. says, "quit touching that area!"

Stop looking. It's normal. Looks to be covered and not corrosion. Perhaps, for your own peace of mind, you can peak at it once a year to make sure it looks the same, but it will. Double check it b4 your corrosion warrant expires. Yes, it's okay to put a calendar notice 5 years in advance. If it bothers you, figure out how to get one of the trim pieces that others have. IMHO

maxxplatinum9137

Reaction score
@davidpacificnw it’s obviously not normal if more have them than not. To me that’s an area someone could easily overlook when these trucks were built and it’s also an area where water pools for long periods of time. These areas I can see rusting away just like the rocker panel areas in older 3rd gens. I’d either take it to dealership and have them get the trim or buy the sealant and seal it myself.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not much ‘rust’ will form, there, considering it’s aluminum. The problem would be water leakage (which I do not think is likely). The trim piece does not solve any problem beyond hiding the seam.

However water runs toward the front and rear of the vehicle along the gully where the seam is and the rails mounted. Leaks where the rail mounts are more likely.

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took delivery of my 2021 Expedition in December after waiting 3 months for it to be built. Given it was in the middle of winter, we had a ton of snow and ice. Now that everything is melted, I noticed that you can see the welds/rivets in the roof under the roof rack as shown in the picture. Its like that on both sides. Does anyone know if this is normal from manufacturing or should Inraise a stink about it to be fixed? Given the indentations and such, I see this as a problem down the road.
Those are not rivets, but the area where the two panels are joined via spot welds. That is what you are seeing, and if you look at panels adjoined to one another, you'll find them all over the unibody portion of the Expedition.

Bill

Pete Costanza

Reaction score
Our 2020 XLT has the same visible spot welds. Doesn't seem to be a problem and I would never had noticed had I not hand-washed the Expedition. I agree that its shoddy not to cover it though.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our 2019 Expedition has black plastic trim pieces covering that recess with the spot welds. All things considered, this is probably the very first Ford vehicle we've owned that no new features added in later model years had us regretting we hadn't waited a model year for the "improvements." There have been very few additions, mostly subtractions. Each subsequent year, many features included in our build specs have been either de-contented or placed in extra-cost packages.
It does seem like the 2018 had a bunch of stuff later 4th Gen MYs don't (engine cover, a cd player, covers under the roof rails, etc.). But we also had halogen puddle lamps we had to swap for LEDs on our own, we got to deal with the dancing side mirrors, we had the plastic oil pan, etc...so there are highs and lows.