Roof rails don't slide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got a 2023 Limited SPP / Loaded.

It looks like the roof rack rails don't slide like my 2010? They appear to be bolted on with large torx bolts. Am I missing some adjustability?

The owners manual says nothing.

m3olsen

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It looks like the roof rack rails don't slide like my 2010? They appear to be bolted on with large torx bolts. Am I missing some adjustability?

Yeah I was a bit bummed when I found that. Both of my Gen 3's had sliders, but it looks like Gen 4 (my 22 anyway) gives 1 mounting location for front bar and two for the rear. You can Search and find threads where people added additional holes and inserts to dial in bar locations for their needs.

OP
OP
A

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I was a bit bummed when I found that. Both of my Gen 3's had sliders, but it looks like Gen 4 (my 22 anyway) gives 1 mounting location for front bar and two for the rear. You can Search and find threads where people added additional holes and inserts to dial in bar locations for their needs.

That's the second cheap-out on the truck that makes me scratch my head. I think someone at ford is on crack. Probably one of the bean counters.

So I have a $90K truck and
* The roof rails don't move so I may have to re-drill my roof pod.

* There is no light under the hood. Really!?!?!?

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is correct, as designed. I've found the cargo carrier I have works alright where they are.

If you want relocatable bars, Thule and Yakima (and maybe a few others) likely have options.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Yep, had a roof carrier tech drill and insert new holes for me. Had to stretch them to fit my Thule box so it didn't flap up and down and loosen itself. Need a special rivet tool I think to do it. I used the rear of the back factory holes with a new hole behind that.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's the second cheap-out on the truck that makes me scratch my head. I think someone at ford is on crack. Probably one of the bean counters.

There is no under-hood light on my 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 - and no hood ajar light (despite a hood sensor for the alarm system).

It did come standard with a stupid color-changing interior ambient light system.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Aside from the complaining about the sliding, do the mount locations not work for your application?

Yes. Really no light.
What’s even better, something crazy like 35% of drivers don’t even know how to open their hood.