Rooftop 2-way radio antennas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
as I said, my roof is aluminum, so should provide plenty of ground plane. I'm using the antenna that came with my Midland MTX115 only issue is attaching it, since the antenna's magnetic base won't stick to aluminum.
Another option that’s removable and more sturdy, get a piece of 1/8” steel from your hardware store and bend it to mate to the surface on the inside of the roof rail. Use 2 of the existing holes to screw the plate against the rail and then magnetically attach the antenna. More labor intensive, but might be even better.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or...if you have a moon roof and won't be using it on your journey, you could open the shade screen and hold a moderately strong magnet (observing correct polarity) against the underside of the glass while someone else positions the antenna above it. Retract the screen and no one will be any the wiser. To avoid scratching the glass, apply felt to the two surfaces in contact with the glass

Retiredusps

Full Access Members
Reaction score
iF YOUR EXPY HAS ROOF RACKS sUPPOSE YOU USED WORM GEAR CLAMPS TO ATTACH A SECTION OF STEEL PLATE TO THEM.CUT 4 SLOTS BIG ENOUGH TO FEED CLMPS THRU THE STEEL.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Find a suction cup mount. I use a suction cup mount for a gopro at over 100mph and it is fine.

XeBeast

Reaction score
I will need a GMRS 2-way radio in my Expedition next year for an extended caravan... I've been advised that the handheld FRS/GMRS 'talkabout' stuff doesn't have adequate range... The GMRS radio I got, a Midland MXT115, has a magnetic antenna.... Oooops! The Expedition has an aluminum body?!? muahhhhhh.

I suppose I can use a double sided tape disk to hold it down ? :-/ But I kind of wanted to be able to put the radio away when we're not actually caravanning (maybe 1 in 4 days of this trip is travel).
I would get an antenna mount that attaches to the roof rack like this one.
RS-660U Comet Adjustable Pipe/Roof Rack Mount Max Opening 2.5" x 2" https://a.co/d/fqcEMjw

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)

ku3r

Reaction score
I use this on my 2021 - though I suggest some quality 3M door edge tape on both the fender edge and hood edge. The mount is secured by one bolt, and while mine hasn’t rotated, I’d expect it to take some paint if it did, does… Hopefully the tape prevents that.

As for an antenna, Just get a larsen NMO mount 1/4wave and cut it per the instructions for GMRS frequencies.

For the NMO mount, I can’t find the link now, but it may have been made by Diamond and had very small coax that was “easy” to route through the rubber feed through behind the glovebox.

00spy

Reaction score
Get a round electrical blind plate for an outlet box. They cost 88 cents at ace. Get some double sided gorilla tape. Put plate wherever you want. Mag GMRS antenna will not come off unless you slide it off. Did this for a 2020, 2021 and my 2022 SPP as well as an F150. I use 2 antenna's, one for CB the other for GMRS.

KFordEx8

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I needed a magnetic surface for my cell booster antenna. Found a galvanized black powder coated angle bracket from Lowe’s along with stainless screws, stainless washers, and rubber washers.

IMG_0573.jpegIMG_0570.jpeg

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will need a GMRS 2-way radio in my Expedition next year for an extended caravan... I've been advised that the handheld FRS/GMRS 'talkabout' stuff doesn't have adequate range... The GMRS radio I got, a Midland MXT115, has a magnetic antenna.... Oooops! The Expedition has an aluminum body?!? muahhhhhh.

I suppose I can use a double sided tape disk to hold it down ? :-/ But I kind of wanted to be able to put the radio away when we're not actually caravanning (maybe 1 in 4 days of this trip is travel).
I have a Weboost Drive Reach device and its antenna is magnetic too. I just use the roof rail to attached it when I need to. Both rails are steel, at least on XLTs.