ROTOR IS HOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
2003XLT. Past week or so noticed braking below 10 mph vehicle rolls funny, like a flat spot on the tire (but that's not it). Today I got out and smell something HOT. Grabbed my trusty hand held infrared heat gun and the passenger front rotor is 380 Fahrenheit. Driver side rotor is about 120 Fahrenheit. Obviously something wacky in front passenger side braking. Will have to stop driving that BEAST and debug it. Glad I have the 2014 to drive even though I try to avoid using that in the salt unless a longer drive but I will start driving that until the 2003 is happy again. I'll probably just drop it off at my fav shop and let them work on it.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the problem, Stick, especially with bad weather coming. You've probably got a frozen caliper guide pin. Could be the pistons, but it's usually a pin. The boots fail, the grease goops up and they jam in place freezing the caliper. Sometimes they come out and the caliper can be cleaned up; sometimes you just replace it all. They can jam up in there like nothing can get them out. Seems to happen when bad weather's coming.

Don't look too hard at that 2003. Since one brake shoe's probably worn crooked now, you'll have to replace them too, so you'll of course do the other side also. That 350 degree rotor has heat spots and probably should have been tossed five years ago... And if you replace the caliper you know that bleeder will be rusted and snap right off, and the hose, well that may be a little cracked...

I know you've been nursing this old girl along, but you're probably gonna go for right and left front brakes, rotors and hardware, or at least you're taking both sides apart, cleaning and greasing.

A good reason to stay home and weather the storm.

Last edited:

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
P

Plati

Reaction score
I would suspect a sticking caliper piston, unless you inspect it and find something else. Make sure the brake pad retraction spring is still there, but even if it was mission you wouldn't get that kind of heat. Probably just have to replace the brake caliper and bleed it.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog....4l+v8,1411119,brake+&+wheel+hub,caliper,1704

6016_ULTRAPOWER%20CARDONE_18B4828_1__ra_p.jpg
MrHam nailed it. It was the caliper. My trusted mechanic replaced caliper, said rotor & pads are fine and I'm back in the saddle again for $221. He said they are making the caliper piston out of phenolic and they get cockeyed in the bore. I know the feeling. The metal & flexible brake lines have been replaced in recent history so my front brakes are solid! Brakes feel good and no longer have that odd roll. I caught it within 50 or so miles which helps avoid the extra parts & labor repair costs. Good to be rollin with the old Gal again. Mechanic said its really still a fairly good vehicle (did not mention the rusted quarter panels but who needs no stinkin rockers on a BEATER anyway?).
IMG_2396.JPG

Last edited:

Doug Reed

Reaction score
You are lucky. My 04 is in the shop right now. Quote is $575.00. New caliper, rotors, pads both sides, 1 brake line that collapsed.

Ty Markle

Reaction score
Our expedition brake line clamps that prevent the line from bouncing around erode and pinch the line. New brake lines come with the new clamp. I found this out the hard way...replaced pads and rotors, then I replaced the calipers, everything was still sticking and then came across a post explaining the clamps eroding and cutting off the flow preventing the brakes to release. I replaced all of my brake lines and everything's been fine for 6 months or so. Way a pain in the ass that venture was.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suspect my driver side front is doing this. Just yesterday, I started to feel some pulsation under light braking. Not having an IR handy I just put my hand inside the spokes of the wheel and there was considerably more heat radiating off of my driver wheel than my passenger front.

Rather annoyed at this of course having just slapped a $400 set of powerstop z36 rotors and pads on here less than 10k ago. No issues presented then other than warped, very old rotors. Everything was cleaned, greased up, new boots and hardware. Now to figure out if it's a line or caliper.

Cost of owning an older vehicle, its still faaaaar less $ than even the down payment on a new one. I'll quit complaining.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1