Rotors with bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The model years with which I'm familiar have rotors that simply slip off the wheel lugs. "Simply" isn't the best word because I've had them seize onto the hub like one mega-molecule. You have to beat the rotors off the hub, or use a combination of heat and oil and hammer to remove them. It can take 45 minutes of pounding sometimes.

There's a trick with using a bolt through the caliper hole on the steering knuckle and then using two wrenches to pop them off. You can find that on YouTube. But I've broken steering knuckles doing this so I don't do it any more.

If you can't get the rotor off the studs, what makes you think you can get those thin, rusted bolts off the back of the wheel bearing?

To answer your question, no, they don't make them that way, as they do for the rear of Focuses.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't seen integrated rotor/bearings assemblies since my 1992? Bronco but believe later model Rangers used the set-up. Unaware of these being on Expeditions.

OP
OP
P

Pclaythomas

Reaction score
Ok, haven't had any luck searching.
Here's my thoughts.....I need front bearings. Average cost for shops in my area is 600.00
The parts are only 30.00
I can't afford the 600.00. I was hoping to find a complete assembly and just swap them.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The bearings are $125 each for Chinese Timpken or $200 each for Ford Motorcraft. They come pre-installed on the hub. That's how they make them now with roller bearings, lugs and wheel sensors all in one unit.

Bearings haven't been $30 since 1970, and $100 per side to put them in sounds like a good deal to me.

Or learn how to do it yourself, and it'll only cost ya $400.

You can try junk yard parts, but I don't think I'd want a wheel bearing that has been laying around in the mud for a year.

Are you sure you need bearings? They're pretty tough these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pclaythomas

Reaction score
Yep, needed bearings. Driver's side failed and I limped to the shop, trying to not listen to the grinding.
They installed new bearings, rotors and front brakes for $400.00