Rough Idle after overhaul of timing chains, phasers, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
After having the driver side tensioner fail at 135k, I just completed the replacement of my timing phasers, chains, tensioners, oil-pump, water pump, plugs, belts hoses ...... got it back up and running and seem to still have a timing issue, a very rough climb to 1500 rpm. Everything was done per Haynes manual and Fordmakuloco videos, and I really cannot believe anything was installed wrong, lets face it, with all the sprockets being "keyed" and the chain links identified....... Is there anything I am overlooking? I have checked and double checked vaccuum lines and electrical connections. I have no codes. I have a cheap code scanner, is there something to look for in "live data" ? O2 readings or spark timing?

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Did you replace the VCT's?
Did you clean out your oil pick up strainer?
Did you confirm you have adequate oil pressure at the chain tensioners before putting the cover plate back on?
Everything is plugged in? Are you 100% sure everything is plugged in?
Did you maybe Chris-cross the wiring harness for the coils?

OP
OP
MenoFalls Expy
Reaction score
Thank-you

Yes: VCT's and strainer
No: Oil pressure verification, how is this performed?
I will verify connections one more time

OP
OP
MenoFalls Expy
Reaction score
After the process of checking connections, I started it and got it to throw a code for cyl. 1 misfire. Not sure if it was existing or a result of my moving things around. I will change out the coil tomorrow am and report back.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
After the process of checking connections, I started it and got it to throw a code for cyl. 1 misfire. Not sure if it was existing or a result of my moving things around. I will change out the coil tomorrow am and report back.

Ok at least now you have a point of interest, sure glad it's one of the easiest plugs to reach, make sure the connectors to the coil and fuel injector are tight and locked in,

OP
OP
MenoFalls Expy
Reaction score
Thanks, Haynes has the drawing several times throughout the manual but no reference to the Front or Radiator.

OP
OP
MenoFalls Expy
Reaction score
I've checked all my connections and hoses and blew smoke into the manifold, I cannot find anything. I am however a little suspicious of a hard line on the driver side that follows the valve cover and then dips down between the engine and firewall. I cannot see or feel where that one terminates, any ideas?