Rounded ignition coil bolt 03 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Title says it all. Was trying to change my coil pack on cylinder 7 to fix an intermittent misfire and the bolt rounded off. I was using a 6 point 7mm short 1/4 in drive socket on a universal adapter. I'm wondering what bolt extractors anyone here may have successfully used in a similar situation. Also, where can I source a replacement bolt? Thanks.

-Y6EAGrK2rjKYQAiYQQhsD2g=w1080-h1440-no?authuser=0.jpg

Jeff G

Reaction score
I stripped one when I cross threaded it on cylinder 7. The only place I was able to find a new one was at the dealer. I am sure they are a available elsewhere, but Lowes and Home Depot didn't carry that size. They are cheap.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get the bolts on Amazon or at the dealer for about $5 each. Or a whole set of stainless from eBay for about $6 .

Rocket Socket Extractor Sockets (Made in USA)
https://www.amazon.com/ROCKETSOCKET...95263312&s=hi&sprefix=Rocket,tools,179&sr=1-2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-4-6-5...306049?hash=item1e744e4781:g:fsMAAOSwW9ldijc3

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-Ignitio...eywords=Ford+coil+bolts&qid=1594861126&sr=8-2

That injector plug looks like hammered owl poop too. Those are replaceable too.
If you get all the electrical plugs out of the way can you get some needle nose Vise Grips on it to break it loose ? It doesn't look that bad from the picture but maybe I just can't see it.
Do you have an hand impact driver, that you can put a 6pt 7mm socket on and tap down on it with a hammer and break it loose ? You might end up removing that fuel rail to make room, and even at that you might end up busting the coil off to get even more room. Eventually you'll have enough room to get a good grip on it and spin it out. Since you were gonna replace the coil anyway, I'd say that is the first thing to sacrifice. Some big Channel Locks will rip it out of there.

5xub91.jpg lectrician-s-needle-nose-pliers-48-22-3409-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S
Reaction score
Good deal. Did you just go to the dealer and get a new bolt ?

If QUOTE]
Good deal. Did you just go to the dealer and get a new bolt ?

I ordered some through eBay, but they aren't supposed to get here until Wednesday. My father in law has a wrecked 2005 Crown Vic he plans on fixing up, but he let me borrow a bike from that until the ones I ordered come in. Worked fine.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'd follow Hamfisted's recommendations to the letter. Vice grip, American-made extractors. Hammer-extractor with an extractor socket. You might also cut a slot in in with a Dremel wheel and try a screw driver bit with the extractor if the special socket doesn't bite.

OP
OP
S
Reaction score
I'd follow Hamfisted's recommendations to the letter. Vice grip, American-made extractors. Hammer-extractor with an extractor socket. You might also cut a slot in in with a Dremel wheel and try a screw driver bit with the extractor if the special socket doesn't bite.

I got it out with the Gearwrench Bolt Biters.