Rumbling noise on turning 2017 exp LTD EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My next thought is that the front is staying engaged in 4WD even though the center is not. Thinks it’s not in 4, but front still is. Simple way to tell would be to lift the front up, spin a wheel and see if the opposite or front drive shaft spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My next thought is that the front is staying engaged in 4WD even though the center is not. Thinks it’s not in 4, but front still is. Simple way to tell would be to lift the front up, spin a wheel and see if the opposite or front drive shaft spin.

I’ve tested this on mine as well. Truck up on jacks, turn on, 2WD, tires both spin and CV axles stay put. Turn to 4WD, spin tire and CV axle spins with it. Normal operation, correct?

Plati

Reaction score
This is a bit of a stretch, maybe not even viable? You say its not in 4WD meaning the switch isn't in that position and the status lights don't say its in 4WD … but maybe something malfunctioned and it really is? If it always "rumbles" while turning either direction, is it the outboard front tire scrubbing because its stuck in 4WD? Any way to test that? A slow sharp turn on pavement? Maybe then put it in 4WD and see if its does the exact same thing?

OK .. its a l o n g shot

edit: I guess that's what Loki said a couple posts back, I missed that

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve tested this on mine as well. Truck up on jacks, turn on, 2WD, tires both spin and CV axles stay put. Turn to 4WD, spin tire and CV axle spins with it. Normal operation, correct?

No. If both wheels spin when you spin one, the hubs are not unlocking. That is your issue.

Nevermind, you said CV stays put. If both wheels in 2WD spin independent of each other your Hubs are working.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No. If both wheels spin when you spin one, the hubs are not unlocking. That is your issue.

Nevermind, you said CV stays put. If both wheels in 2WD spin independent of each other your Hubs are working.

Yup engage 4WD and they lock to the wheels

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is a bit of a stretch, maybe not even viable? You say its not in 4WD meaning the switch isn't in that position and the status lights don't say its in 4WD … but maybe something malfunctioned and it really is? If it always "rumbles" while turning either direction, is it the outboard front tire scrubbing because its stuck in 4WD? Any way to test that? A slow sharp turn on pavement? Maybe then put it in 4WD and see if its does the exact same thing?

OK .. its a l o n g shot
Funny you say that bc I did just that yesterday with a buddy. Found a parking lot, 2WD, full turn left and full turn right, both times the CV axles stayed disengaged from the wheels and operated normally.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alignment was done yesterday. Didn’t help.
Have you greased the little bump stops on the lower control arms? They are actual bumps that when you go full lock they will tend to rub on the little pockets they fit in to

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Update on my rumbling..

Found a tear in outer tie rod ball joint rubber. Probably starting to rust and get a bunch of grit build up in there. Will re update when fixed if that’s the real issue

Captain Kirk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like its your rear end. The limited slip clutch packs are binding a little. Mine does it every morning. When I leave out of my driveway it feels like the rear axle is locked. I have read that you can ad a "friction modifier" to the rear gear lube and it will solve the problem.