Rumbling noise on turning 2017 exp LTD EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rich6655

Reaction score
I had the same symptoms at 71k. Shuddering while at low speeds turning both left and right. I went ahead and changed out the oil on the rear axle and used full synthetic and added a Ford XL-3 friction enhancer and after 100 miles the shuddering went away. Saved a trip to the dealer and a $190 service fee just to look at the truck.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like its your rear end. The limited slip clutch packs are binding a little. Mine does it every morning. When I leave out of my driveway it feels like the rear axle is locked. I have read that you can ad a "friction modifier" to the rear gear lube and it will solve the problem.

I would swap all the fluid if you think that is the issue not just add friction modifier.

Captain Kirk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my front, center and rear diff fluid changed. The sound still happened. The F-150 forums talk about the sound and most people said the "friction modifier" was the solution.

I'm not going to worry about it because my sound goes away after a few minutes of driving.

AccraBob

Reaction score
My 2017 expedition makes a rumbling noise on turning, either right or left. Had tires rotated and alignment done. Still rumbles. Any advice?
I don't know if this is related to the issue you're experiencing, but I have noticed that consistently in 3rd Gen Expeditions (I drive a 2009 and 2014 generally) when you turn extreme right or left, at the steering wheel limits, it will "chatter" - you could call it rumble. I first noticed this when doing a tight U-turn. If I switch the truck from 4A to 2H, the problem does not occur. I suspect that on dry pavement when the system sees a significant rotation speed difference between the two front tires (tire on the outside of the turn will rotate faster than the other), the 4WD kicks in when in automatic mode. Force it to be in 2H and it doesn't happen. Give that a try and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited:

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if this is related to the issue you're experiencing, but I have noticed that consistently in 3rd Gen Expeditions (I drive a 2009 and 2014 generally) when you turn extreme right or left, at the steering wheel limits, it will "chatter" - you could call it rumble. I firtst noticed this when doing a tight U-turn. If I switch the truck from 4A to 2H, the problem does not occur. I suspect that on dry pavement when the system sees a significant rotation speed difference between the two front tires (tire on the outside of the turn will rotate faster than the other), the 4WD kicks in when in automatic mode. Force it to be in 2H and it doesn't happen. Give that a try and see if it makes any difference.
You should not be making any type of tight turns in 4WD anything. Great way to really bind everything up..

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It sounds like its your rear end. The limited slip clutch packs are binding a little. Mine does it every morning. When I leave out of my driveway it feels like the rear axle is locked. I have read that you can ad a "friction modifier" to the rear gear lube and it will solve the problem.
Why would it be the rear if I only feel it up front and it’s a rotational sound that follows the rotation of the tires?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had my front, center and rear diff fluid changed. The sound still happened. The F-150 forums talk about the sound and most people said the "friction modifier" was the solution.

I'm not going to worry about it because my sound goes away after a few minutes of driving.
DO NOT USE FRICTION MODIFIER UNLESS DOIN A FULL DIFFERENTIAL SERVICE!

My 2016 has 39,000 miles on it, has never been off-road, and has never towed. If my clutch packs are shot already I’m going to buy a Chevy

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OP might want to look up the TSB's for his truck....vac line has a spot where the clamp holding it can be damaged...the other thing is to replace the vacuum check valve and /or solenoid....

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The OP might want to look up the TSB's for his truck....vac line has a spot where the clamp holding it can be damaged...the other thing is to replace the vacuum check valve and /or solenoid....
Yup check valve and solenoid about $35. Easy 5 minute fix

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, if the tie rod ball joint is bad or going bad normally you would feel vibration through the steering wheel at normal highway speed. Grab the tie rods and if they are not tight then I would replace them. Tie rod separation at speed would not be a pleasant thing to have happen. Please let us know on the outcome.......