Running Board Motor - Pin Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread is reminding me to get out the lithium grease and spray it on the running board hinges, etc. again. Forgot to do it last fall.

princered72

Reaction score
Still not understanding why you want to remove the pin. The whole motor and bracket unbolt from the running board by 2 allen head screws. What am I missing?

I got my replacement motor and bracket from the same company and still having the same issue. This time I found when the motor goes to retract it will move slightly before the board retracts. Found some of the bolts that attached the motor to the bracket to be loose. Passenger side motor does not move at all, that is still the factory motor.

OP
OP
CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael

Reaction score
On the 131” wheel base model (Expedition EL), the motor is pinned to a shaft the connects the front bracket and rear bracket. You can’t remove and replace the motor without taking the pin out.

Exp13

Reaction score
Can someone post the link to the YouTube video for removing the pin? I can't find it?

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The motor comes with the forward bracket and hinge. All I need to do is take the running board off the hinge and take the pin out. I bolt up the new motor and hinge and I’m off to the races.

Here’s a photo of the motor/hinge I bought on eBay.

I’m sure I can hammer and gnaw the pin out. I was hoping there was some slick way of doing it.

View attachment 40156
OP if you have the time and inclination, would you please send me the link for the one you purchased on eBay? I have the L length and all I can find anywhere is the motor with bracket for the short wheelbase and I would like it done correctly without hacking anything up. Some of them on eBay/Amazon say in the title that they are for EL/L, but in the item details it specs the 119".

I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks!

bosco35

Reaction score
When you replaced the hinge, did you use the rod again, or did you leave the rod off?

OP
OP
CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael

Reaction score
OP if you have the time and inclination, would you please send me the link for the one you purchased on eBay? I have the L length and all I can find anywhere is the motor with bracket for the short wheelbase and I would like it done correctly without hacking anything up. Some of them on eBay/Amazon say in the title that they are for EL/L, but in the item details it specs the 119".

I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks!
I can't pull up my order for the motor I bought. I did a quick search by part number and this is what I came up with. As you note, the ad says it is compatible with my vehicle (2014 EL) but it also says its for 119" wheel base - send an ebay message to the seller to confirm. FYI - this one looks just like the one I bought and for a similar price.

FYI: The Ford part number is 9L74-168467-BA (L for Driver's side and R for Passenger side)

1625756912855.png

OP
OP
CallMeIshmael

CallMeIshmael

Reaction score
When you replaced the hinge, did you use the rod again, or did you leave the rod off?

Yes, I drilled out the rivot to take the rod off the old motor. I used a stainless round head bolt and nut to put the rod on the new motor. There isn't a ton of clearance so something with a low profile head works best.

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't pull up my order for the motor I bought. I did a quick search by part number and this is what I came up with. As you note, the ad says it is compatible with my vehicle (2014 EL) but it also says its for 119" wheel base - send an ebay message to the seller to confirm. FYI - this one looks just like the one I bought and for a similar price.

FYI: The Ford part number is 9L74-168467-BA (L for Driver's side and R for Passenger side)

View attachment 69272
Great, thanks so much for getting back with me!

Testadura1

Reaction score

I also bought motor with hinge assembly. It didn't have the extended hinge pin shaft to reconnect the long rod. I don't get it. How can you operate the rear hinge then?