Running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

I have a chance to get some tan running boards for 200 bucks. Westin aftermarket boards are about 350 bucks. Any ideas on how to get the tan ones black? I was told that paint won't stick becuse of the rough surface and I should use a vinyl dye. I have no idea what he meant. Is it worth the hassle or should I fork over the 350???

Whatcha think?

OP
OP
G

Vinyl dye is an aftermarket paint, that in my experience, doesn't wear well...and would never stand up to the punishment that running boards would take. I use it when restoring old cars.... on interior parts that dont match (say I need a console..but can only find a white..when I need black...etc), but I look at it as more of a temporary paint, good enough while I keep looking for the part in the correct color. It tends to scratch easily.

Figure roughly $125-$175 to paint the boards. Add that to the $200 for used new ones..and I think you may have your answer, of which is the better deal.

TodzY2KExpy

Reaction score
Maybe not...

I have tan boards on my Expy and I DO think the color is not painted on but the color is of the actual plastic through out, the front bumper lower part is the same way, the reason I know this is the prev owner scratched it pretty good and down into the plastic its still tan.

They have some black ones on eBay now and then...

OP
OP
G

I was thinking XLT running boards...which are painted..but should have realized that the tan would be EB :) The $125 - 175 for painting would also be a good ballpark for XLT boards. You can get paint to stick to plastic...(adhesion promoter, plastic primer) but it wouldn't last on something like a running board.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1