Running Board Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moffomv

Reaction score
Newbie here. Just picked up 2015 with Platinum trim. Previous owner took off the auto running boards before they traded it in. I had the dealer put some aftermarket fixed ones on. They but 6 inch round “Aries” brand with chrome appearance. They look ok, but from the front and back they sort of stick out far.

I was curious if anyone else has put fixed boards on and if so what brand. The ones the dealer put on retail for over $600, so I can always sell them to help cover cost of something with a tad better fit.

Also curious about swapping out halogen HL for LED. But that may be better suited in a different thread.

Thanks

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Assuming STD 119" wheelbase, you can buy the Ford OEM fixed running boards for about $1,000 total - $475 (LS) $500 (RS) not including freight if purchased online. Maybe a local dealer will match online price, in that case there will be no freight. Powered running boards are about $2500 plus freight and you would need to have them painted, which is additional cost.

The part numbers below indicate a complete package with body, step pad, mounting brackets and hardware. I would have the dealer you purchase from verify these part numbers against your VIN before purchase, plus verify the Platinum model actually was available with fixed running boards and if not if there would be any mounting / fitment problems.

1661704661328.png

If the dealer actually took this vehicle in on trade (as opposed to buying at an auction) with the OEM powered running boards removed, they certainly made a very substantial adjustment to the price they paid and should have replaced them prior to sale. Another sign of the times where vehicle shortages allow dealers to get away with things they never would have been able to do 3 years ago.

OP
OP
M

moffomv

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I forget if it was a trade or auction pick up. They definitely had the price adjusted for the lack of power running boards and still put on some decent after market ones that I could live with. They just a tad bulky for me. A 4 inch option would likely have been perfect.

makenzie71

Reaction score
Go to a wrecker and pick some out that you like. Here we have a wrench a part salvage yard that sells running boards for like $20 a piece.

All first, second, and third generation expedition running boards are interchangeable assuming similar wheelbase.

I got that black set for like $55 out the door.

OP
OP
M

moffomv

Reaction score
Nice…I thought about that, but wasn’t sure if all trim levels were interchangeable. Thanks

makenzie71

Reaction score
yep so long as it's like wheelbase. There may be some differences between the different gen EL's but the standard wheelbase boards all swap.

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm in a similar pickle ... Got my wife a 15 standard length Expy and lifted it, bigger tires, and I am not wild about the stock plastic running boards. Does anyone know if f150 running boards will work? If so, what generation(s)? Super cab? Super crew? I'd love to get some Raptor or raptor style running boards on it... I line Xed my Raptor boards and love them, and have raptor "style" board on my super duty. High and tight, out of the way, and don't collect snow/mud/etc. Thanks

makenzie71

Reaction score
The songle steps will bolt up but the running boards do not. There were a few factory installed 3rd party boards with adjustable mounts that “might” but the fixed mount F150 and 250 boards do not fit the expedition.

Varel Freeman

Reaction score
2013 King Ranch.

factory running board is a big step up for my short girlfriend. Is there an aftermarket board or auxiliary step that would be closer to the ground? We don’t offroad or need high clearance since driving is highway and suburban city streets. Thanks!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire