Running out of gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

To all...

I've got a 2000 Expedition 2WD. Whenever I'm at 1/4 of a tank of gas or below and I park on a slight slope with the front of the car on the low end, I have a problem with gasoline intake into the engine. I mean my car won't start at all.

I took it to the shop and they said this is a known problem with the long gas line with the vehicle and there is nothing that can be done. Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone found a resolution? It was under the warranty at the time and they simply said it was a design flaw.

I know...don't go below a 1/4 of a tank will solve it, but this is quite annoying.

Help!:confused:

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a peek under the truck. The gas tank is rectangular in shape with the long axis running parallel to the driveshaft. This means that when the truck is parked on an incline, a fair amount of fuel has to be in the tank in order for all four corners of the tank to be immersed in fuel. The fuel pump is mounted towards the rear of the tank. Thus, the fuel pump is sucking air when the tank is low and the truck is nosed downhill.

You know the "cure".

OP
OP
G

Ok Paul,

So you were able to invert the tank and effectively put the fuel pump at the lowest point...excellent! I'll go home right now and rip my tank off and get to it.

Thanks for all the help.

:shootout:

This is ridiculas. Surely someone has fixed this. I've effectively only got a usable 3/4 of a tank now.

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, inverting the tank would put the fuel pump intake at the highest point of the tank, which would cause the situation you experienced on virtually a continual basis.

Probably not the way to go.:shootout:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

I have a 2000 4wd and don't have that problem. Yes if it is parked on an incline it will take more fuel. I know the 4wd has a different tank, but you should be able to go below 1/4 tank. I'll dig around and see if I find anyting.

OP
OP
G

I'v got a 98 EB and I have never experienced this. Thsi good to know. I have gone down to about 16 miles to go before running out of gas before with no problem. Hope you get your solution!!!!

OP
OP
G

I've driven my 03 EB to '3 miles to empty' on level ground. Even if your fuel pump is sucking air, there should be enough fuel in the line to get your truck started though. Unless you sat there idling for a long time before turning it off.

OP
OP
G

Too all...

You seem to have missed my point. My car is not running...it's sitting in my driveway on a slight hill with the front end below the rear facing my home. I've still got 1/3 of a tank of gas in it and when I get up in the morning and go to start it, my gas gauge shows empty and the fuel light comes on.

No...no one is syphoning off my gas either. If I go park in a level parking lot and turn the car off and restart it, I've still got 1/3 of a tank.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have gone Waaaaaaaaay past 0 miles on the computer display, and have had the needle stuck in the "E", but have never had this problem trying to restart the Expy. It seems I always have about 4 gallons left when I finally do the fill-up. Sorry to hear about your issues.

One idea........maybe start backing up into the driveway???

whitehat

Reaction score
I've never had this problem with my 97 expo. Did you buy your expo used? Maybe it's a fuel pump problem, if the previous owner always run it under a 1/4 tank on a daily basis, that can damage the fuel pump. Remember that the fuel keeps the pump cool inside the tank and when it's always low the pump can get warm and that could shorten the life of the pump. I know that these cars now days if they don't have just the right amount of fuel pressure or they won't start. Maybe the fuel pump has been replaced before and they did'nt put the float back together correctly, If you got it new maybe the factory incorrectly installed the float in the tank. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out!!!!!!!!