Running Rough

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

georgeshannon

Reaction score
My 2000 expy 5.4 with 128k miles started yesterday but ran really rough. Drove it around the block with a very noticeable loss of power and missing fire. How can I access any trouble codes there might be to help me understand what happened and what needs fixing? Will accessing the trouble codes identify which cylinder is missing fire?

JabroniBro

Reaction score
Did the check engine light come on? Take it to any local auto parts store and borrow their code reader. It plugs in under the driver side dash. Then post your codes here or search them on Google.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes George, you should get a code which cylinder is acting up. Sounds like one of the coils are acting up. Don't drive too long with the misfire, as it can and will damage a catalytic converter.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
georgeshannon

georgeshannon

Reaction score
Thanks both of you. That's what I needed to know. Glad to know the codes will identify the problem cylinder.

Plati

Reaction score
Can buy a Bluetooth OBDII device for as little as $20 (or less) and get the free TorqueLite app to display the device data. Better more functional devices cost more.

I keep one in my Expy at all times.

Definitely like Moose said fix the misfire (if it's that) soon or risk more expensive repairs.

There are other things it could be. When was fuel filter last replaced?

OP
OP
georgeshannon

georgeshannon

Reaction score
Fuel filter was changed a few years ago. Its on its third fuel filter.

OP
OP
georgeshannon

georgeshannon

Reaction score
Just checked and the Service Engine Soon light comes on after a few seconds of running.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If or a shop does a simple fuel pressure test, that will rule out the fuel filter, pump, and lines going up to the fuel rail. Anything above 28psi is acceptable. You also want to be sure pressure doesn't drop significantly after turning off motor. I believe the early Expeditions are on a 30-35 fuel filter replacement schedule. If your tanks clean, you might be able to push that number. I'm on 37k right now, and still runs fine.

OP
OP
georgeshannon

georgeshannon

Reaction score
Just returned from AutoZone. What helpful people they are. Error code is P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected. Recommend a new ignition coil and spark plug. Cylinder 3 appears to be the third cylinder back from the front of vehicle on the passenger side.

Does anyone have a feel for how difficult this cylinder ignition coil and spark plug are to access? Thanks in advance.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's tough but doable. You'll need a 7mm flexable 1/4 inch drive socket and ratchet for coil bolt. And a 9/16 sparkplug socket, ratchet, and extension. You'll want to torque spark plug to about 22 ft lbs, if you have access to a torque wrench, snug if using ratchet.