Running water sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EKBlake

Reaction score
I'm hearing a running water sound like a babbling brook coming from under the dash. Occurs during start up or high rpms. Did a tiny bit of research and there was discussion of a potential coolant leak however all fluids are topped up. Just had a service a month ago and they also stated no viable leaks.

richs fishes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm hearing a running water sound like a babbling brook coming from under the dash. Occurs during start up or high rpms. Did a tiny bit of research and there was discussion of a potential coolant leak however all fluids are topped up. Just had a service a month ago and they also stated no viable leaks.

Check your coolant overflow to see if the level is low. Gurgling sounds are typically heard if the coolant system needs to be bled of air....which is usually caused by a leak somewhere.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you are accurate about the 'sound' coming from under the dash:

From a google search:
"Why do I hear water under my dashboard?
Sloshing is almost always caused by air in the cooling system, which allows the coolant to drain out of the heater core inside the dashboard when the engine is off. ... When you start the car, the water pump sends a surge of coolant into the heater core and you hear the sloshing."

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's okay.....capillary attraction causes the cooler water to seek the warmer areas creating a bit of flow.....this is good b/c it continues to cool the very hot turbos after shutdown.

Always keep clean fluid/water in it and the reservoir and you'll be golden unless you have a leak.

jeff

OP
OP
E

EKBlake

Reaction score
Ok thanks so I should be good. No obvious leaks, cardboard was dry after few days of leaving it under the truck. Reservoir is still topped up.

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had that exact same issue a while back and it turned out the water pump was starting to leak just a tiny bit at first. Soon enough (a week or so) it turned into a stream of coolant under the truck. New water pump was installed and no more strange sounds from glove box area at startup or higher rpms.

I had to change the radiator cap too, as mine was stuck closed. Unrelated, but caused some coolant flow issues too.