RWD Only in Snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hellohithere

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with a RWD Expedition in snow conditions? Considering a road trip to Denver in March with my RWD Expedition. It has Michelin Defender LTX M/S and tow package. Any experiences or insight are appreciated!

stavesacre03

Reaction score
I've lived in CO since 1993. I've also had LTX M/S tires on several of my vehicles. They are decent, but are certainly no match for snow tires. March is the snowiest month of the year in Denver but it's usually one or two big storms that happen in the spring. You could have 70 degree temps or you could have a blizzard. You might want to bring chains just to be safe. Also, be aware of the I-70 chain laws in case you travel to the mountains. https://www.codot.gov/travel/colorado-chain-law

OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
I've lived in CO since 1993. I've also had LTX M/S tires on several of my vehicles. They are decent, but are certainly no match for snow tires. March is the snowiest month of the year in Denver but it's usually one or two big storms that happen in the spring. You could have 70 degree temps or you could have a blizzard. You might want to bring chains just to be safe. Also, be aware of the I-70 chain laws in case you travel to the mountains. https://www.codot.gov/travel/colorado-chain-law

Thank you for the link and advice! From your experience, would RWD with M/S tires and snow chains be sufficient or is it unusual and not recommended?

stavesacre03

Reaction score
I would say that plenty of people live year round in Denver with RWD and probably something less than good M/S tires like yours. You would probably be OK for your visit, and taking it slow and putting extra weight in the back would help in the event of a big storm. And with luck, you'll have great weather on your trip. Being prepared for anything is most important and it sounds like you are on it!

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've messed around in the snow with my Nokian snow tires on in RWD before engaging 4Auto. You can get around, but you have to be more deliberate about starting off on a grade in snow with light throttle inputs. You also don't want to engage your rear locker if so equipped since both rear wheels will spin and the crown of the road will slide your rear end into the ditch.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The expy I had was rwd and we had it in de where it would snow on occasion. I would have my wife drive it when it snowed and had it put it in snow mode. No issues. She even got a speeding ticket driving it in the snow(red light cam).

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove my RWD Expedition in Northern New Mexico in light snow. It performed well in New Mexico and in the Snow/Sleet we encountered in NW Texas on the way home. We have three peak AT tires on it. A dedicated snow tire would perform even better.

lurch

Reaction score
Are you going into the mountains or staying in the metro area? In town the weather is pretty mild most of the time with the occasional snowstorm, you should be fine just avoid driving on the day of a storm or buy chains if snow is forecasted and you need to drive every day. If you are going into the mountains buy a set of chains.

OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
Are you going into the mountains or staying in the metro area? In town the weather is pretty mild most of the time with the occasional snowstorm, you should be fine just avoid driving on the day of a storm or buy chains if snow is forecasted and you need to drive every day. If you are going into the mountains buy a set of chains.

Planning to do Denver for a few days and the rest of the week in Vail. I'm looking at purchasing the "Security Chain Company SZ451 Super Z6 Cable Tire Chain" on Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with these or have any recommendations on snow chains that work well with the 22" OEM Expedition wheels?