Same old problem--hesitation and stumbling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHSC

Reaction score
I have a 97 XLT. I have been having all the same problems as you guys. I have replaced all the coils and plugs, fuel filter, o2 sensors and I have cleaned my MAF sensor. I have also replaced the pcv valve, tube, and elbow. Last year, I replaced the egr valve, egr tube, and exhaust manifolds. I am still getting the hesitation and stumbling when accelerating from a cruising speed, and when going up hill. It is better now than it has been, but still very anoying! The only other thing that I can possibly think of is that the cat/cats are blocked/plugged and need to be replaced. I am taking it in to have the exhaust checked and fixed this weekend, unless someone else has a better idea for me to try...........Anyone, Anyone, Bueller, Bueller.............

strokin393

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you figure out what your problem is, can you update on here so maybe I can try that to see if t helps me with my problem? Mine so bad that I can't drive it because when you push the throttle it wants to shut the engine off, it don't seem to want to take gas. Good luck

TheGuyWho

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this at idle or stopped? Or is it only while under acceleration?

Shot in the dark, but… Alternator?
Only reason I say that is because my wife had an Explorer back when we were dating and it had a rough idle/sputtering issue and we replaced the alternator and that fixed it…

Jackmldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine had the same problem.. It ended up being a cross between the coils and the injectors. Get your multimeter and check the ohms of the injectors. Should be in the 15s. But if all come up and show the same ohms then they're alright. You may want to try and run some injector cleaner through your gas tank or sea foaming. I ended up buying new injectors. You can find them on eBay for $100 for all 8. Good luck and keep it updated

OP
OP
RHSC

RHSC

Reaction score
FINALLY!!!!!! So after driving the truck for 3 weeks with the hesitation and stumbling and bad accelleration, the check engine light finally came on and it threw a code for the #6 cylinder misfire. I replaced the coil ----again, and all is fixed..........so far. It's been fine for a couple days. We'll see.

markanthony

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be honest. With the ford coil setup. It is really hard to replace one. Sometimes it goes down the line of replace #6 then #4 then #8 then #1 etc. In this spot I have the thought process of. I will replace them all at once and while I am their I might as well replace the plugs, and check the injectors. If they check out ok I leave them alone. I think the injectors should ohm at like 14 to 16. In that range their good. I also found that on ford motors. Its best to use ford plugs. For some odd deal. It works. even though their are a few that has good luck with platinum's. When I replaced my coils I used some accel performace coil packs. 1 they were cheaper then direct replacements, 2 they were in stock at local part store, 3 I have had good lucj in past with accel stuff.

dano

Reaction score
stumble, hesitate...know what i mean, vern

My 2005 Expy did the stumble thing, ususally when reacellerating from slowing from highway speed (55), usually around 40 mph. Over the winter it got worse, to the point that if I manually shifted out of O.D., it seemed to take care of it. But one day I was pulling a trailer, and she started in with throwing fits, so I did the downshift out of O.D., oh krap, it still was doing the hesitation! now what. I finally took it to a ford dealer, they put it on there super thinker and it spit out the 1 and 7 misfire, they specifically said the coil needed replaced. So I went out to my local Car Quest and picked up a couple coils and put them in. Took it for a test drive, and wa la...fixed... almost. I could still induce a miss, or a hesitation at the same acceleration at 40 mph ish area. But hey, at least its not as bad as it was. So what im thinking is that the Ford wonder computer maybe missed a misfire on another cyclinder. Any body got any input for me? Oh yeah, I'm kinda poor right now, or I'd just get some Motorcraft coils online along with some plugs too.
Thanks,
dano

Last edited:

Steuermann

Reaction score
:Boo:Just Bought a super clean 98 RED 5.4 L EB that looks like it has been garaged for the last ten years. 114 k miles and in one day here I am at this site on this thread looking for help. Man I hope this has a happy ending. Really hope I can sort this out. Appreciate what I've read so far.
photobucket-9330-1375723929805.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:Boo:Just Bought a super clean 98 RED 5.4 L EB that looks like it has been garaged for the last ten years. 114 k miles and in one day here I am at this site on this thread looking for help. Man I hope this has a happy ending. Really hope I can sort this out. Appreciate what I've read so far.
photobucket-9330-1375723929805.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

If it has been sitting for a long time, a tune-up would not be the worst thing to do. Even with so few miles.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2005 Expy did the stumble thing, ususally when reacellerating from slowing from highway speed (55), usually around 40 mph. Over the winter it got worse, to the point that if I manually shifted out of O.D., it seemed to take care of it. But one day I was pulling a trailer, and she started in with throwing fits, so I did the downshift out of O.D., oh krap, it still was doing the hesitation! now what. I finally took it to a ford dealer, they put it on there super thinker and it spit out the 1 and 7 misfire, they specifically said the coil needed replaced. So I went out to my local Car Quest and picked up a couple coils and put them in. Took it for a test drive, and wa la...fixed... almost. I could still induce a miss, or a hesitation at the same acceleration at 40 mph ish area. But hey, at least its not as bad as it was. So what im thinking is that the Ford wonder computer maybe missed a misfire on another cyclinder. Any body got any input for me? Oh yeah, I'm kinda poor right now, or I'd just get some Motorcraft coils online along with some plugs too.
Thanks,
dano

Did you replace the plugs with the coils on 1 and 7?

EDIT: Didn't notice this thread was old, nevermind.