Satbilizer Pins (Sway Bar links) - can cause noise in your suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

falcn

Reaction score
Stabilizer Pins (Sway Bar links) - can cause noise in your suspension

I just bought a 1997 Expy EB with 70K original miles on it, and it is in excellent shape. One of the points that came up in the prepurchase inspection was that there was some clunking coming from the suspension. (Got the price reduced on purchase because of the items pointed out on the inspection - highly recommend anyone buying used get an inspection).

Turns out the sway bar links were worn and the slop was enough to trasmit the clunking sound into the cab.

I had it fixed at my favorite shop down the road (Nick'ss Automotive in Penn Hills, PA - near Pittsburgh) since it is COLD out and I dont have a garage.

The truck now rides much quieter after simply replacing the sway bar links (all 4).

So if your truck is a little clunky sounding when you hit bumps - check your sway bar links - they could be worn out.

Last edited:

Chesterfoxes

Reaction score
Wait long enough and rust will end up weakening them to the point of snapping. Then you're in for a fun ride.

mcmuffinman

Reaction score
Funny, I have a 98 that I had to do the same thing to!! the problem was so bad that one of them broke. after that I ended up doing the whole front end. things were just a little worn. I still love my EXPY. Hope to have another one, one day.

McMuffinman

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up. Do you know at what mileage they should start to be checked? I'm only at 40k right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1