sea foam, and marvel mystery oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

camoford4x4

Reaction score
will these fix sticky valves, my mechanic is gonna charge me 1500 to fix my sticky valves and a friend said this would fix the problem

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
camoford, unfortunately, no, neither one is going to fix sticky valves. With that being said, run to the auto parts store and find a product called CD2. It comes in a bright yellow bottle and it is a bottle of oil detergent. Get the motor warm. Drop a bottle of this stuff in, drive the truck another 50 miles or so and then change the oil. If this doesn't fix the sticky valve issue, then it is going to require breaking into the engine. A bottle of it is like $5.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm with Thermoon solution, although I have used Marvel Mystery Oil and just left it in there. The problem with that is that if you have an oil leak anywhere it will be worse afterwards. But it sure will quiet down an engine.

OP
OP
C

camoford4x4

Reaction score
thanks, my mechanic siad he would try that stuff before making any expensive repairs, i just hope hes honest enough to actually try it since im already spending 1000 on an entire new fuel system, fixing stuck valves would not be cheap

DCM1519

Reaction score
I used an oil detergent in an old Chevrolet once and it leaked everywhere afterwards. In an engine that is fairly new, I would try it though. The Chevy was really old.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
camo, why take the mechanics word? Not that you shouldn't trust him, but this is a very easy thing to do. The product is quoted as being able to be left in the motor for a full 3,000 (or 5,000, don't recall) miles. I am only recommending the 50 miles as this will be long enough to get whatever is going to come out loose and if you happen to knock a lot of stuff out and it plugs up the oil filter, you are not running around for a long time with the oil filter not doing anything.

You will know if the CD2 will fix anything within 1 minute of putting it into the engine. I had a boat motor that was sounding rough. I poured a bottle of that into the engine and I could tell you when that stuff hit each cylinder. I could hear the valves quiet down to a purr. Too bad that motor had 4 cracks in the block and I ended up rebuilding the block anyways.

Captain Morgan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Absolutely agree, it's a no brainer. Pour a bottle of CD2 or Seafoam in today.

I readily use that and the MarvelMystery oil and swear by it. I even occassionally add a tad of Mystery oil to my gasoline.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

camoford4x4

Reaction score
yeah he said the valve needs a new spring,, and i told him i didnt have the money, and he said he would do it for only as much as i had as a thank you for my family using his mechanic service for 26 years, so im only paying him the additional 200 i have to take it apart and fix it!

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thermo whats wrong with seafoam i love that stuff and swear buy it. i have seriously had some good results with it. i also love lucas my buddys truck has some noisy roller rockers he has a 350 pushin over 500hp on pump gas and he has to use lucas oil stabilizer just to make the rockers shut up a little. his boss runs a step below nascar and has a insane 350 with a balanced rotating assembly around like 26 pounds or some crap like that and he has to run lucas also his engine builder used a honda crank custom made of course but it started life as a honda crank and that 350 will jump to around 9,000 rpm with a quick flick to the throtle it requires race fuel of course but the engine builder told him to use lucas oil stabilizer at all times. there really are some great additives out there but at the same time there are alot of crap ones as well

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
2000eb, I am not against Seafoam. I have tried it in the oil and just didn't see the results like I did with the CD2. Seafoam is great if you are wanting to clean out the carbon in the engine though. A can of that and the motor will breath a lot easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420