Several Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emf22

Reaction score
I have been lurking around on this forum and have answered a few questions as i have found that i myself have dealt with but now i have a few questions for ya'll. I have a 2000 Expy XLT 5.4 stock w/ 170,000 that's still running strong and want to keep it that way.

First i'll start with maintenance questions.
I know i have a stuck open thermostat and want to give it a try at changing myself before taking it to the mechanic. I figure it can't be too hard. so are there any special tips for not losing to much coolant, things to watch out for, etc.

I've also read that the cleaning the MAF sensor can help your mileage so i was wondering what ya'll recommend. I know CRC makes a maf specific aerosol cleaner and i've heard brake cleaner works well too. thoughts?

Also, i've heard that seafoam is pretty good stuff and will clean out your engine to where it will bring back lost power from carbon buildup, etc. I'd like to give it a shot as well. Any recommendations besides making sure to do it in an open space.

On to performance ?s.
From what i've read on here and FTE, programmer's will provide the most bang for your buck. I've checked them all out and have decided that the Sniper special forces is the best of the bunch. My only real complaint about what i've read so far is that i haven't found anything that says it can read codes. so can it? It would be great if it did but only a small inconvienance to go to autozone to have the codes read. Also, i too have noticed the infamous one gear too high when doing 45+ and want to accelerate without flooring it. I understand that Greene on these forums can provide a custom tune to fix that issue.

I am looking to install a CAI as i only have a K&N filter right now. From all the info i've found, the true CAI made by Outlaw Power seems to be the best CAI for the money that actually increases power at all rpms (with dyno proven results on some models). Any opinions?

I am also planning on putting in an exhaust, but not until mid-summer. I'd like to get a little more sound at idle and be able to hear it when on the gas but not have the drone while cruising on the highway. I'm not a real fan of the flow's hollow sound and infamous drone. From what i've heard, the magnaflow has a nice sound and almost no cases of drone. I love the sound of the Borla (just sends chills down my spine) but have heard of occasional droning issues and it is the most expensive. I looked at gibson but pretty much sound the same as magnaflow with a higher price for a SS system.

Lastly, the audio system.
I've already got a nice Eclipse deck and 2 pairs of infinity kappas installed but i'm gonna hook an amp for the speakers and another amp for the two 10's i've got. For those who have installed amps, where did you put them? I'm thinking about removing the third row seats and putting my 10's in a custom down-firing box along the back of the second row bench and mount the amps (along with all the wiring goodies :D) to the back of the second row bench after removing those little flap things off the back. The amps and goods will be centered with a 10 on each side connected with board on the far side from the amps running strait across them with a slot on the bottom (for airflow) so as to block the easy view of the amps so it isn't so obvious and hopefully won't get my stuff jacked :eek: . If i go that way, i can easily make a cover to flip over the top to completely cover everything in case i go to an unfriendly part of town. I figure the back of the second row seats will be easy to install because you can fold them down to put it all on and then just put it back up when done. Any suggestions will be considered as i'm still trying to finalize my thoughts on the layout.

Thanks for reading the whole thing (or didn't :)) and i appreciate all comments. I look forward to learning lots of valuable info from here and sharing what i learn.

Eric

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seafoam is some really great stuff. If you havent used it before i would start with pouring the can in the engine oil filler necklet it do its job and then get a fresh oil change. Maf cleaners are good too. I would also suggest taking a look at the throttle body. My guess would be if you havent cleaned it out before then 170k on it, im willing to bet its black. As far as the amps, i have mine installed under the 3rd seat and my sub box with 3 10's are behind the 3rd seat (little space between seat and liftgate. I had the box made with vinyl (instead of carpet) for around 300 at my local stereo shop. I will post back with some pics of my setup as im on a laptop right now and dont have thee pics on it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, greene does do the custom Sniper tune. It's good stuff. He'll custom do it, then fix it till you're satisfied :)

As for reading codes, the Special forces software does not read codes. But they are working on a data logging software that would be able to do that. You'd have to have your laptop in your car to read the code, but I'm guessing that shouldn't matter. BTW, the data logging software comes as a bonus(whenever they get it done testing). At least that's how I understood it. Ask Greene for more details.

Hope this helps :)

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a pic of my sub box. Thats al i have at the moment till i go home and upload pics from y home computer since im at work right now. At the time i had this made, i wanted only 3 10's but now i wish i had it made to fit 5 10's since i have upgraded alot and can always use more BASS!!!

subbox.jpg

OP
OP
E

emf22

Reaction score
lak, your setup is very nice but wouldn't fit my needs. I rarely use the third row bench and more often it is tilted up to provide more space for me to put things in the back. It would just be easier to take out the third row and have all that free space in the back. I figure if I ever do carry more people than can fit in the front and second row, they can sit next to the subs in the back and be cured of any congestion they may have :D.

Also, what do you use to clean the throttle body? Same stuff to clean the maf?

What about the thermo temp? If i'm not mistaken, i believe that the stock thermo temp is 180 or 185 and i see your running a 160 thermo. Is there any real benefit other than keeping the engine cooler?

If the special forces does allow you to run the recon data logging software when it comes out, then i'm game! My laptop is my main computer while i'm at college (which is right now) so i'd be able to run the recon software. I'll wait for greene to chime in to confirm this.

Thanks for ya'lls help so far.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Matt (greene) will make his way to the thread shortly.

I just use anything that says throttle body cleaner. Matter of fact i just cleaned out the wife's throttle body on her 97 explorer and that thing was sooooooo black and gunked up i had to get a lil razor and scrape crap off of it. As far as the 160 thermo i have, it does run a little cooler but i would get the full benefit of it when i do a tune. I'll probably bite the bullet when i take the expy in to have my body kit installed in 2 weeks and buy a set of headers and then get a nice tune then.

Edit* oh yeah if i didnt have 3 kids and all they junk they bring with them when we go on trips, that 3rd seat wouldve been long gone and put up for sale on eBay or something lol.... unfortunately i need it.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure on the whole feature set of the Recon just yet, we'll just have to wait and see when they release it....

A custom tune on these trucks works wonders....... especially the transmission parameters.....

Be careful on the throttle body to use "throttle body cleaner" if you use regular carb cleaner it will melt the teflon off the blade of the throttle body and screw up the IAC (it's internals are plastic).

I would stay away from anything lower than a 180 thermostat. You can actually lose mileage with a 160 and if you take alot of short trips it may also not be able to get the oil hot enough to cook all the water out of it. Just my opinion.

Matt

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In addition to the above, here's my opinion:

- Change upstream 02 sensors every 40K miles or so (before they throw a code, as they can slowly degrade without triggering a code)

- Make sure your plugs fresh (not sure what you run, factory plugs are supposedly good for 100K miles)

- Clean the ports on your throttle body by removing it and really getting in there

- I agree with Matt that a 160 t-stat is too low, which may cause it to run open-loop when it shouldn't be

- If you are getting a new exhaust thne replace your y=-pipe with one of these:
http://images.autoanything.com/images/products/med/exhaust_systems/magnaflow_y_pipe.jpg
..the factory one is very restrictive inside. It's only about $30 or $40.

- I'm not convinced that there are significant differences among the CAIs, I'd just get one that is enclosed and draws cool air from the fenderwell. I'm not familiar with the Outlaw one, but if it's like the Volant than it should be good.

- Get a separator plate or valve body for your transmission. It really helps the shift quality & speed. I personally would rather alter line pressure mechanically versus electronically, but if you don't want to do the VB or plate then you can firm things up with your tuner as well

- Make sure your front ball joints are in good shape. At your mileage I'd imagine they've been replaced, but if not then don't wait for a failure.

- Make sure your fuel filter is good, if it is old then replace it...it's cheap, even if you pay someone to do it (I usually do because I don't like to muck around with gas)

- Fresh shocks can really make a huge difference in how your truck drives. I personally like Bilsteins, there are others as well

- Good brakes are a must. Make sure your system is operating correctly. I replace fluid every two years.

OP
OP
E

emf22

Reaction score
Funny you should mention that lak, I was one of those kids in the third row seat on the road trips not more than 5 years ago.

I will stick with the 180 (or whatever stock is) thermo because most of my trips are generally 5 miles or less while i'm at school.

I think i will send the sniper guys an email and see how they will be distributing the Recon program and how it'll work. I really would like to get the SF kit but want to find out about what is up with the Recon program first.

I will make sure to use the correct cleaners for each part. It's been awhile since the truck has had a tune up and i figured i could do as much as i can myself. My father took very good care of the truck so it still runs great but now that it's in my hands, watch out.

Edit after having the page open for about an hour while taking notes for a class and not seeing ****'s post:
Brakes had work done about 10,000 miles ago. needed a new rotor or two along with pads. Not looking to mess with the suspension for now and it rides fine for now. New tires would help though; they're getting towards the end of their life. I know the fuel filter was replaced shortly after i started driving it around 15,000 miles ago. It wouldn't rev over 3500 even at full throttle. I believe the ball joints have been replaced but i can check. I'm not looking to mess with the tranny for now, maybe towards the end of the summer after everything else is already in and i have the money for it. Would changing the y-pipe involve welding? I don't know how to but i know someone that possibly could do it fo rme. I'm pretty sure the plugs have been changed at least once all around but i'm not sure how long they have been running. I have no idea when the 02 sensors were last changed, but i wouldn't be suprised if it's been more then 40k miles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

emf22

Reaction score
Well, I got a response from Chris at Sniper, Inc. Here's what they sent:

When the Recon becomes available, it will be included with Special Forces.
We will also be offering it so it can be purchased seperately. They will
priced as follows: Special Forces-$495 & Recon-$295. If you were to
purchase Special Forces prior to the Recon getting released, it would be a
free upgrade (as long as proof of purchase of Special Forces is given). At
this time we are expecting the Recon to become available for the EEC-V
vehicles within the next 3 weeks and a little longer for CAN vehicles.

Chris
Sniper, Inc.

That definitely clears up some questions and definitely look forward to getting my special forces kit soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420