Shocks and struts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can I used the standard duty suspension rear coil spring for a 119” wheel base 2008 expy on an 2008 131” wheel base standard duty suspension. Are they interchangeable?.
I’m assuming not, do to the extra weight of the extra 12” on the EL (131”) rear end. But who knows and can confirm that for me.
Parts catalogs don't appear to differentiate between EL and standard length. I would think the GAWR would be the same, but you may have more payload capacity on the non-EL due to the lower relative weight vs. the EL.

CJ Massey

Reaction score
I have an 03 expy with over 250,000. I've been slowly having to change things out cause it has all original parts still on it. I have 6 kids and noted on our spring break trip from TX to SC this year that our back shocks n struts needed to be replaced because once fully loaded with all 8 of us plus the luggage rack added to the back we squatted bad. Seemed as though every little pebble we went over caused us to bounce and scrub the fender wells with the tires. Replaced the back struts with masterpro strut assembly. They may not be the best out there. But they didnt break my pocket and they work for me. I've since towed a 27.5 ft travel trailer with passengers no problem. Some squatting noticed but expected and no scrubbing of tires. Don't know if any of this helps. But I love my Expy! Its the XLT with 5.4 triton in it. They dont put engines like that in these vehicles anymore. Most standard on the lots now a days a v6 unless you wanna pay a whole lot more for that already 50,000 vehicle.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course, feel and drive of a vehicle are subjective, what’s not subjective is the original feel and drive of a 3rd gen expy if you owned it from new or fairly new with original suspension parts. Our ***** are all calibrated differently while sitting in that driver’s seat, but all expy’s that rolled off the line where made exactly the same based on the models we purchased.

Feel is not simply subjective; it's also unquantifiable. To me, the Bilstein 4600s feel only slightly stiffer than stock. Ask some others here and they'll tell you they offer a bone-jarring ride compared to stock. There is also the matter of other components of one's vehicle not being in the same condition as they were when the vehicle rolled off the line. Even if Joe Smith installed shocks with the same part number (and even from the same production lot) on the same vehicle - but this time with an extra 100K on the clock - the feel is going to be different. Heck, even if it was the same Joe Smith probably wouldn't remember it since the feel changed gradually over time and his most recent memory of the feel would be in its worn state. Then there is also the fact that many of us bought our Expeditions used and would have NFI what the vehicle felt like when it had 50 miles on the clock. My point in all of this is that you should simply get the exact same parts that came on your vehicle to begin with if you are trying to replicate that feel as closely as possible. If you would prefer to continue spend your time chasing an answer to the "How long is a piece of string?" question though, go for it.

OP
OP
panama

panama

Reaction score
I have an 03 expy with over 250,000. I've been slowly having to change things out cause it has all original parts still on it. I have 6 kids and noted on our spring break trip from TX to SC this year that our back shocks n struts needed to be replaced because once fully loaded with all 8 of us plus the luggage rack added to the back we squatted bad. Seemed as though every little pebble we went over caused us to bounce and scrub the fender wells with the tires. Replaced the back struts with masterpro strut assembly. They may not be the best out there. But they didnt break my pocket and they work for me. I've since towed a 27.5 ft travel trailer with passengers no problem. Some squatting noticed but expected and no scrubbing of tires. Don't know if any of this helps. But I love my Expy! Its the XLT with 5.4 triton in it. They dont put engines like that in these vehicles anymore. Most standard on the lots now a days a v6 unless you wanna pay a whole lot more for that already 50,000 vehicle.
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. My ‘08 is still one of favorite vehicles I’ve owned. Don’t have to worry about power to tow, space or comfort. Just got to good morning get these shocks (feel and drive) back.

OP
OP
panama

panama

Reaction score
Yeap, concur. I checkout the link to rock auto where I typical purchase my parts as well. Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett