Shudder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanCan0508

Reaction score
have a 2018 platinum max with 55K miles. Anyone had significant shudder 30-45 mph? Have driven ecoboost and just had explorer torque converter rebuilt, but expedition will start to trans shudder 30-45 mph. Anyone have this issue or fix?

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it does it what are your RPMs? Mine has been doing this a fair amount lately since I had my ECU reflashed by Ford, my expedition will drop down to 1200rpms and it starts to do it.

OP
OP
DanCan0508

DanCan0508

Reaction score
When it does it what are your RPMs? Mine has been doing this a fair amount lately since I had my ECU reflashed by Ford, my expedition will drop down to 1200rpms and it starts to do it
Lower RPM, 6-8 gear. Have to give it more to get Rpm back up and more boost.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was your PCM recently reprogrammed for the cam phaser issue and you're just noticing this recently?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have a 2018 platinum max with 55K miles. Anyone had significant shudder 30-45 mph? Have driven ecoboost and just had explorer torque converter rebuilt, but expedition will start to trans shudder 30-45 mph. Anyone have this issue or fix?

Your 5-year / 60,000 miles (no deductible) power train warranty should still be in effect. Take the vehicle to the dealer for diagnosis and repair.

bill_b

Full Access Members
Reaction score
21B10 was done to my expedition a few months ago prior to the vct phasers being replace. I guess Ford thought they could fix a mechanical defect with a PCM reflash lol. Not only did they not fix it but mine now shudders exactly as you described.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
21B10 was done to my expedition a few months ago prior to the vct phasers being replace. I guess Ford thought they could fix a mechanical defect with a PCM reflash lol. Not only did they not fix it but mine now shudders exactly as you described.
The original 21B10, released in May, caused transmission shudder and they stopped it. Then they brought it back in July with an updated version that should not cause the shudder.

I would say if you had it done before July, then ask the dealer to re-flash your ECU with the most recent one.