Side Mirrors erratic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When moving to reverse the side power mirrors sometimes go down as they are suppose to but do not always return to there previous position. Sometimes one will go all the way up to the top and make a grinding noise and stop or all the way down. I then have to re-adjust the mirror. This occurs off and on from time to time with both side mirrors but not both mirrors at the same time. This is a 2003 Expedition with only 47,000 miles. The dealer fixed this under warranty about 11 years ago but I don't know how it was fixed. Doe any one have an answer??

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having a similar prob now...the pass mirror doesn't return to full normal position and I have to hit my memory button to put it in position

Mr. 10K

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When moving to reverse the side power mirrors sometimes go down as they are suppose to but do not always return to there previous position. Sometimes one will go all the way up to the top and make a grinding noise and stop or all the way down. I then have to re-adjust the mirror. This occurs off and on from time to time with both side mirrors but not both mirrors at the same time. This is a 2003 Expedition with only 47,000 miles. The dealer fixed this under warranty about 11 years ago but I don't know how it was fixed. Doe any one have an answer??

Are you talking about the power folding mirrors? If so you can hold the button in the fold position for 8 seconds until you hear an audible click. Once you hear that the mirrors should be reset.

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not have power folding mirrors. 10K-Watts sounds like he has the same problem as me.

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the same problem with my stock mirrors. Try re-plugging the wire in the door panel for the mirror. If that doesn't work the memory part of the mirror is going bad.

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That feature bugged me. Replaced the passenger motor and it helped (had other issues with it requiring replacement), but finally just turned the backup-dip off.

OP
OP
gulfman

gulfman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know the location of the memory unit? Is it behind the adjustment buttons on the driver's side door near the upper part of the window?

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shop manual says it is part of the driver seat module which is under the driver seat. If you have heated/cooled seats, it looks like it would be the larger of the 2 modules under the seat.

03 exp

Reaction score
Most of the time is not the module, is the mirror itself it has sensors built into the motor that tells the module when to stop and the position. Mine does the same thing I just turned off the feature too expensive to fix !