Sideways jump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AccraBob

Reaction score
I noticed my 2014 Expedition XLT has developed a tendency to jump sideways when running over road bumps. It doesn't always happen and does not seem to be very speed related. Happens in 2H and 4A. It wasn't doing this until after approx 85,000 mi. Any clues, It passed a dealer 7500 mi checkup since it started and is about to go in for the next one.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed my 2014 Expedition XLT has developed a tendency to jump sideways when running over road bumps. It doesn't always happen and does not seem to be very speed related. Happens in 2H and 4A. It wasn't doing this until after approx 85,000 mi. Any clues, It passed a dealer 7500 mi checkup since it started and is about to go in for the next one.

Thts because the suspension is working. Whatever side the bump is on it probably “jumps” the opposite way right?

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could be worn bushings, or just severely out of alignment. Often times extreme toe (particularly in the rear) can cause that behavior as the suspension unloads, or bad bushings can cause the toe to become extreme as the suspension cycles, either way, leading to similar behavior...

If one side is significantly toed in or out there would be a contest between the rear wheels, each pushing or pulling sideways against the other. This could in normal operation be a stalemate between the two, with no obvious affect felt. But when you hit a bump this could 'unload' one wheel and cause a brief loss or reduction in grip, allowing the other wheel to have the upper hand briefly, and 'steer' the car sideways, until the other wheel regains traction and cancels out the effect.

Usually this will cause obvious uneven tire wear but not for several thousand miles..

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I would suspect worn rear shock absorbers.

I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
Could be worn bushings, or just severely out of alignment. Often times extreme toe (particularly in the rear) can cause that behavior as the suspension unloads, or bad bushings can cause the toe to become extreme as the suspension cycles, either way, leading to similar behavior...

If one side is significantly toed in or out there would be a contest between the rear wheels, each pushing or pulling sideways against the other. This could in normal operation be a stalemate between the two, with no obvious affect felt. But when you hit a bump this could 'unload' one wheel and cause a brief loss or reduction in grip, allowing the other wheel to have the upper hand briefly, and 'steer' the car sideways, until the other wheel regains traction and cancels out the effect.

Usually this will cause obvious uneven tire wear but not for several thousand miles..
Good points. I noticed it for the first time before we started a road trip to Alaska from NJ. Everything checked out during scheduled service in ND but I did not mention the issue to the dealer. I certainly will when the truck goes back in for service this week at the dealer we use in TX. Thanks!

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rear shocks would be my guess. My 08 was really bad about it especially when the bump was at an angle to the direction of travel, say a bridge or expansion joint. Bilsteins on the rear, end of problem.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea what it should cost to replace front and rear shocks on a 2014 Expedition XLT 4WD with about 96,000 miles on it? I've got an informal quote from a dealer but want to double check before going ahead.