Slight jerk while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fradojr

Reaction score
Slight jerking while driving

I have been having a slight jerking motion coming from the rear end of my 2005 ford expedition Eddie Bower. It is my wife's car and she drives it more then I do. I just found out about it this weekend and noticed it while driving as well, it is a slight jerk feels like someone is pulling on the back of the truck or so. It started doing it about two weeks after the last time we pulled our trailer with a wood play set on it. And again we used it to pulled a decent load from another trailer this weekend. It was doing it a lot after we dropped of the trailer and while driving it. How ever it is not constant it is very random and at very different speeds and the amount of the jerk varies. Could this possibly as simple as bad gas or is it something with the drive shaft or rear end could any one give me a good place to start looking and what to check and how.

Thanks

Last edited:

Starman

Reaction score
When I first saw your post title, I thought this was going be something about your road rage issues...

Anyhow, does it happen only in a certain gear. I had the same issue, only happened in OD around 45-55 mph. I changed the plugs and it seemed to do the trick. I've also heard it could be the coils. Turn off the OD and see if it still bucks.

OP
OP
F

Fradojr

Reaction score
Yea it still jerks even with the Overdrive on or off. I haven't changed the plugs since we bought it and it has roughly 130k on it most likely do. And did not notice if it was any gear because it ranged from 40 all the way up even to 60 at some point. And the thing that made it even stranger the last time I drove it and it was really noticeable it bucked 2 to three times in a row and then went back to normal.

Starman

Reaction score
Depending on how long you plan on keeping it, I would change all the plugs and COP's. If your mechanically inclined, or have a friend that is, you can save a ton of money. I think that will take care of the problem.

You can always find some open road, go wide open throttle, and maybe the engine light will come on. I wouldn't speed tho, lol. That will give you a starting point when you get it scanned. It will tell you what COP is bad.