Small amount of water leaking through rear AC vent after rain??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArkFord

Reaction score
So I've noticed after periods of heavy rain (this has only happened about 4 times) overnight on my parked expedition that I will have some water that runs out of a rear AC vent once I begin to drive the next day. So far its always been from the roof, rear, AC vent directly behind driver's seat. Any thoughts on where it may be coming from? I have thought maybe through where the roof rack mounts to the roof since that would be right above that vent? It does have a sunroof but I don't think its leaking anywhere as I have not seen any other signs of water around it. Anyway, I thought about taking some clear flex seal and just taping off and spraying a thin spot around the base of the luggage rack to see if that stops it. I'm kind of worried about loosening the luggage rack to put some caulk or something under it since this is a 19 year old vehicle and I don't want to start loosening things like that. haha :)

Anyone else every had this issue or have any thoughts? Thanks!

2005 Limited 2wd 154k miles

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you looked in the roof channels for rust or pitting holes ? Very common for the ends of the channels to develop rust, pitting, holes through the roof's sheet metal. But yes, it wouldn't hurt to pull the roof rack rail off and inspect underneath that for the same corrosion and pitting. Use some 3M 5200 or another polyurethane sealer on the screw threads when you remount it. Motorcraft makes an excellent corrosion inhibitor to treat any suspect metal ( Motorcraft PM-13-A ). Also make sure the drains are clear for the sunroof. Run some stiff weed eater line or something down the drain tubes to clean 'em out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ford-Mot...234048?hash=item3acdd29880:g:QpAAAOSwLF1X7BXq

OP
OP
A

ArkFord

Reaction score
Have you looked in the roof channels for rust or pitting holes ? Very common for the ends of the channels to develop rust, pitting, holes through the roof's sheet metal. But yes, it wouldn't hurt to pull the roof rack rail off and inspect underneath that for the same corrosion and pitting. Use some 3M 5200 or another polyurethane sealer on the screw threads when you remount it. Motorcraft makes an excellent corrosion inhibitor to treat any suspect metal ( Motorcraft PM-13-A ). Also make sure the drains are clear for the sunroof. Run some stiff weed eater line or something down the drain tubes to clean 'em out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ford-Mot...234048?hash=item3acdd29880:g:QpAAAOSwLF1X7BXq
Thanks! I checked the channels onnthe roof and they shine like new so no issues there. Where are the drain holes on the sunroof? I assune you can see them when you open it?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk