Snow Beast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'18 XLT no trailer tow here (4A only) and mine is like a billy goat in the snow. Sure it would be better with aftermarket tires but its all about expectations. and yes, once I wear these down I will get some better all terrains but I havent been stopped yet in two winters.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
'18 XLT no trailer tow here (4A only) and mine is like a billy goat in the snow. Sure it would be better with aftermarket tires but its all about expectations. and yes, once I wear these down I will get some better all terrains but I havent been stopped yet in two winters.

Same (but a '19). While I do not like the Hankooks in the dry or wet, I've been quite impressed in the snow - even though my expectations were a low based on that summer performance.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
reviving this thread to reiterate how much of a SNOW BEAST this vehicle is when it’s got good shoes !!!!

TheDoug

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in north Texas so last week was my first time to have the Expy in the snow. Even with the garbage Hankook tires I was very impressed with the stability and traction on ice and snow. Glad I have the 4x4 vs rwd

Jon Jenkins

Reaction score
Couldn’t agree more! 18 Max Limited and I love the “grass/snow/wet” mode. Especially for my wife, how it changes the transmission braking and slows acceleration, makes it very safe and capable. I however still enjoy kicking it to sport mode and playing a little. We have Michelin tires and have been very impressed with the LTX M/2 on slippery and snow packed surfaces.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I live in north Texas so last week was my first time to have the Expy in the snow. Even with the garbage Hankook tires I was very impressed with the stability and traction on ice and snow. Glad I have the 4x4 vs rwd

Fellow north Texan here...same garbage hankooks but I had the same experience. My brother in law got married last weekend and I was “out and about” running all manner of errands as I was the only one with a vehicle that could get anywhere. The thing was a dream in the ice/snow...the grass/gravel/snow mode made sure every input I applied was slow and steady. And coming from an F150, it was a welcome change to not have the ass end always want to slide hither and yon every time I hit a slick spot.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMG_3564.jpeg

It was slow going on the roads in AR, MO and OK this weekend. This “snow beast“ was fantastic. My wife was driving the first half without me and she took this picture. 1 click on the drive mode and she was off. A little rattle (sunroof we think) developed on the home stretch last night so I’m not sure what that’s about.

This truck does a great job.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 79862

It was slow going on the roads in AR, MO and OK this weekend. This “snow beast“ was fantastic. My wife was driving the first half without me and she took this picture. 1 click on the drive mode and she was off. A little rattle (sunroof we think) developed on the home stretch last night so I’m not sure what that’s about.

This truck does a great job.
Mine developed a rattle while driving in subzero as well today. I also thought it sounded like the sunroof. That’s interesting that you mentioned that.

I also think this vehicle handles extremely well in the snow. The slippery mode does a great job with the pedal control and I like being able to see the power distribution. You have to really be trying to lose traction.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s was below zero. There’s a plastic cover that goes across that’s suspect. It’s got to be temperature related. There was a little dry snow and ice on the roof but I don’t think that was the problem

MattG

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rustproof the undercarriage.
Regular washes of the exterior.
Full washer fluid reservoir with extra jug in the back.
Plug in the block heater during the really cold snaps.
All weather mats and cargo mat.
Set of Ford Performance 22s with dedicated snow tires.
Snow driving mode and 4a.

....I have complete faith in our Expy to haul our 4 kids around.