So here’s something weird

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmart

Reaction score
I had posted another thread last week about swapping radio face plates in my 2010 EB. That turned out to be a cheap fix for the display issue I was having. What I noticed today when I installed the replacement plate was a little odd. Both faceplates have CD slots, but there’s no CD drive in the double-din chassis in the dash. When I peaked in there, there’s a the primary circuit board on the bottom and a ribbon cable that I would assume would connect to a drive, but no mechanism to receive a disc and no laser to read discs. I’ve been working with computers/electronics for long enough to know what I should be seeing so needless to say I was like “huh?” I’ve had this truck for almost 3 years and I’ve never tried to play a CD so I never noticed. My 01 XLT had a had a 6disc magazine in the center console but this truck doesn’t. So I’m curious if anyone has come across this?? I’m not too concerned because I haven’t played a CD in any device in about 10 years but I thought it was silly if Ford actually put a vehicle out configured like this.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
It's supposed to have it... Even the cop cars have the CD radios. Maybe it jammed up and someone took it apart to get their CD out of it. Then the just threw the parts over their backyard fence? Were there screws missing from the case?

OP
OP
M

Mmart

Reaction score
Once I noticed there was no drive I knew the mounting screws were gone too. I honestly laughed out loud. I’m glad I never slipped a disc in there because it would’ve been puzzling.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
82B353B5-65F4-4DA3-9B76-BF5C41D02662.jpeg 7ACC8E57-52BD-4015-9A2E-E0ED7ECBFEDF.jpeg Know this is a year old, but wanted to add that someone had done to this one same as what I’m doing today to mine. Simply removed the 6 disc changer drive to stop it from trying to eject a ghost disc. When ever I unlock the doors with the keyless or turn the ignition on, the stereo would cycle through 4 attempts to load or eject a cd. So today I took the cover off the top of the head unit to discover there aren’t any disc in it. I’m guessing it was jammed and previous owner forced the disc out. The slots aren’t evenly spaced apart. Looks like it was playing disc 3 and is frozen there. I looked for ways to reset it back but would require a major disassembly. I wondered what would happen if I plugged the head unit back into the truck with the changer left out. It seems to operate like normal with the exception of displaying CD ERROR for a second if you press the LOAD button. I’m totally happy with that. But I’m installing the changer back in just leaving the ribbon cable unplugged. I don’t want to risk objects especially something metal pushed into the center slot and frying the main circuit board.

Kevin08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it's an 08, go buy a Ford GPS from an 08 Expedition and replace the radio with it. A well spent $200.
I might look into that once it’s up and running good. I have a lead on a transmission with a 6 month warranty.