Somebody 'plain this.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was crawling around under the '17 Expy XLT yesterday and noticed the tread design on the spare was different than the the other 4. Sure enough, my spare is a Goodyear Wrangler while the original tires are the Hankooks.

While typing this, it occurred to me that I need to look again to make sure its the same size (in diameter, any way).

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Was crawling around under the '17 Expy XLT yesterday and noticed the tread design on the spare was different than the the other 4. Sure enough, my spare is a Goodyear Wrangler while the original tires are the Hankooks.

While typing this, it occurred to me that I need to look again to make sure its the same size (in diameter, any way).

I am guessing you have the 20” wheel upgrade?

The Goodyear Wrangler were OEM for 18” wheels. You likely have an 18” spare but similar overal diameter.

I have 18” wheels and a 17” spare.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated above, you probably have the 20" upgraded wheels (they came standard on my limited), but the spare is a cheap pressed steel 18" with wrangler tyre, at least its a full size spare not those horrible skinny things!!

Gary

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am guessing you have the 20” wheel upgrade?

The Goodyear Wrangler were OEM for 18” wheels. You likely have an 18” spare but similar overal diameter.

I have 18” wheels and a 17” spare.
yep thats the deal a standard 18" wheel and tire

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just don't leave it on more than 25 miles if you can help it. 4 wheel and all wheel drive vehicles can have differential problems if you have one or more different sized tires. On some even a different tread pattern can throw off the differential. Has to do with the computer, I believe. Maybe one of the others can elaborate on this. Just make sure your tire pressure is up on spare. I check mine about once a year, and pump it to the max on tire.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just don't leave it on more than 25 miles if you can help it. 4 wheel and all wheel drive vehicles can have differential problems if you have one or more different sized tires. On some even a different tread pattern can throw off the differential. Has to do with the computer, I believe. Maybe one of the others can elaborate on this. Just make sure your tire pressure is up on spare. I check mine about once a year, and pump it to the max on tire.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

The 18 Spare has the same rolling diameter as the 20 inch combo. Absolutely 0 issues running it. Ran ours on our 15 for 300+ miles while the dealer was repairing one of the 20’s they messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Plati

Reaction score
Yep, and our trucks are not full time 4x4 (like a Subaru) if you keep it in 2H. Rarely any need to run other than 2H anyway.

-- Chuck
I guess you're saying they aren't fulltime 4x4 if you keep it in 2H because if you keep it in 2H they are never 4x4?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Our trucks aren't fulltime 4x4 by any definition. They're selective 4x4 at best. Full time 4x4 vehicles, like Subarus, don't offer any options. They're always 4x4 -- AKA full time 4x4.

Having matched tires on all 4 corners is vital on a full time 4x4 vehicle like a Subaru. Get a flat on one of these cars you buy four (4) new tires, not 3 like our trucks.

-- Chuck

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A crossover like Subaru isn’t 4x4 like an Expedition as it doesn’t have a Transfer Case that mechanically locks the front and rear driveshafts with a 50/50 constant torque split. It’s AWD and has a power transfer unit like a Ford Edge or Explorer. By definition 4x4 is selectable and controlled by the driver via shifter or switch.

Big difference, hop under a 4WD Expedition and look at the large 2-speed BorgWarner T-case and then hop under an Explorer and it’s got a little PTU instead.

Last edited: